Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanium soldering clamps

Out of interest, what thickness have you gone for?

They sound great! I'm definitely interested and have sent Tamizan an email...
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Peter, as I sometimes want strong clamps, I have stocked up on 1.3mm. thick strips that are 100mm. long and 4mm. wide.
    On the photo I posted some of the clamps are made from these strips and a few from the 1.3mm. strips just rolled down to 0.95mm. using my Durstons is no problem and you end up with 130mm. strips which when cut in half is good for two small clamps. I also pierced a couple of strips lengthways to give me approx 2mm. wide strips, these make perfect clamps for small jobs like holding settings in place.

James

Thank you, James - that's actually quite a bit thicker than I'd anticipated; I'd assumed around 0.7mm. Not that I can remember if my Vs are .5 or .7 offhand... No matter, I've probably got thicker stuff around too.
    There are *some* upsides to hoarding things!

If anyone is interested, they can sign up to the Knew Concepts newsletter, see; http://knewconcepts.com/contact/ the next issue will include info about the titanium strips available for making these soldering clamps.

James

Thank you James, I've signed up.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

I made myself some out of titanium just about a week ago, just now found this thread - love a good synchronicity I do.

- I was lucky enough to find a small bunch of old dusty grey plating in the loft years ago, took it to be cut into box sides for a press mould - was so damned tough to cut on the large ancient power guillotine the whole floor shook with a huge 'bang!' each time. He pointed out that this, plus the fact it showed no corrosion and was not magnetic and def. not SS, plus the rows of numbers printed all over it meant it was likely Ti as it turned out from the local aerospace place near-bye (Salmsbury UK).

Shaun.

Do you think the titanium reverse action tweezers would work as well? I'm trying to solder a thin gold wire to a wide silver strip which is proving to be quite a challenge, as anything I use to hold the gold down is taking so much heat away from the metal.

Have you tried superglue, I soldered a gold flower made out of wire onto a wide ring as a pattern on it and used superglue to hold it, the superglue burns off but it holds it long enough for the solder to melt.

Ah, now there's an idea Pat.