Thread: Is it possible to solder without pallions?

Default Is it possible to solder without pallions?

Speaking as a proper newbie, I have a solder torch but no soldering block or pallions. What I also have is a pendant to give to someone at the weekend - but no way to solder the joining thin wires (5 of same, twisted together).

Does anyone have a way forward (as they say)?

Thank you.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by HelenSt99 View Post
    Speaking as a proper newbie, I have a solder torch but no soldering block or pallions. What I also have is a pendant to give to someone at the weekend - but no way to solder the joining thin wires (5 of same, twisted together).

Does anyone have a way forward (as they say)?
    Thank you.
    Have you got a sketch or pic, I cannot quite imagine what you are asking for? But, if you want to connect a bail to a pendant, can you redo it with some wire wrapping technique or rivet?

You do need a few more things for soldering... Flux, pickle solution, eye protection...

Well I sounds as if all you need to do to stabilise it is to join the very ends of the wires.

If that is so and if the wires are silver and if your torch is hot enough you can do this by heating the very ends until they just melt together and quickly remove the heat.

1. Open the air hole until the flame has a blue cone in the centre.
    2. Heat on any dry unglazed pottery or ceramic, such as an upturned flower pot, a brick, the back of a tile, or even a piece of dry concrete. But put it on some metal such as a baking sheet, to protect your table.
    3. You will also need some flux to avoid oxidation of the heated end. Your local chemist will sell small quantities of borax powder to mix into a thin paste with water.
    4. After fusing, you will need to heat it in pickle in a Pyrex dish to clean it. A small tub of alum (also from your chemist), using two teaspoons of it in a cup of water will provide this.
    5. Lastly to polish use Silvo, an old toothbrush and a soft cloth.

If you are using base metals, then in the absence of normal facilities use clear two part epoxi glue from a hardware shop or stationer. Dennis.

How brilliant! I am using a silver pendant from Art Clay - which broke in half (oops). The answer that you have both come up with - and especially yours, Dennis - was wonderful, and very obvious. Thank you very much. I am going out now, to a chemist.
    Helen

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by HelenSt99 View Post
    How brilliant! I am using a silver pendant from Art Clay - which broke in half (oops). The answer that you have both come up with - and especially yours, Dennis - was wonderful, and very obvious. Thank you very much. I am going out now, to a chemist.
    Helen
    Excellent, would love to see what you have made. I was on my ipad earlier, it is a pain to write very much on there, so apologies for being so brief. Good job Dennis came to the rescue