Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assay

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Default Assay

I have my parcel back from my preferred assay office.

A little hiccup on this occasion and wondering if that is just what it is??

I have made a tiny pin badge no bigger than a stud I would make, but it is a really popular item and have started to get a few requests for it. I love my items having my mark on them. But the assay mark was not on it. I have no note to say it was returned un-marked for any reason. It was beautifully sat at the top of my parcel in the lovely little box I use (fab idea and with extra wadding and a tight lid, nothing moves).

Is it normal to be sent something back that has been un-hallmarked without any note to say why, or was it missed? I am guessing it would have been counted in and out, so not sure if it could have been missed. I also attached it to a nice bit of polystyrene to avoid any HSE issues It had one highly polished side for the little mark to go.

I submitted some studs, that were of a lesser weight and in fact slightly smaller in size and were returned fully marked, so I am a little puzzled.

This is a fantastic office and customer service is excellent and so glad I switched. Any advice would be welcomed.
    Last edited by Wallace; 18-10-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Seems strange Wallace. Have you phoned them?

Thanks Carole,

no, I thought I would sound out and see if it happens occasionally to others and may have just been an oversight. I will ring on Monday.

Must be something in the water Wallace! I don't know if we're using the same office but I sent off a parcel a couple of weeks ago, included in it were 4 keyrings. I'd made them using Cooksons silver split rings and a Celtic pattern on each attached by a large unsoldered jump ring. 1 was hallmarked on both the split ring and pattern other 3 were only hallmarked on pattern. I phoned to ask why 3 had been unmarked and the lady I spoke to had no reason for it, only that I could send them back if I wanted the split rings also marked. I'm not sure if both have to be marked but I think it looks better as they are fairly heavy keyrings. I'm also still waiting for a credit note from them for another parcel having been charged for the Sponsor's mark even though I'd done it myself, so not very impressed with the service at the moment.

Sounds like a mistake. I have only ever had one piece queried (if I wanted it part marked and querying position of mark) and was rung twice to check. Annoying not having it marked when it so expensive to send them!

thanks everyone - I think it was probably an oversight, I will indeed give them a call - it isn't a cheap thing to do, but I want most of my things marked and so the cost can mount up.

Anna, I could be wrong, but I thought each item should only have one hallmark. Maybe Steve can clear it up when he comes back on Monday and may advise me too.

Did the charge you for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Did the charge you for it?
    Hi Julian,

they did indeed.

glad you are feeling better. Thank you for popping over and liking one of my creations on FB

Wallace, it sounds to me like an oversight....usually if you send in something and its not marked for some reason, you are usually informed as to the reason why.....

Anna Wales...key rings which are constructed of split ring with a motif hanging from it are treated as two items as they can easily be separated from each other...in the same way as a pendant and chain, where the pendant can easily be removed from the chain, also count as two items, so you should have the split ring and the motif hallmarked. I'm not sure which office you deal with but if it's me then please feel free to pm me with the details and I'll sort your credit out for you too.

Thanks Steve, I thought so too.

Whilst you are about, I sent something in and highlighted an area, which was possible to use, and the mark was then put on the clasp (not indicated) I really didn't want it there as the clasp still needed soldering and I may now lose the mark and need to send it in again. Is it possible to send it in again if I do lose my mark when soldering? I have to harden the clasp again and worry the hammering will cause problems.

Thanks again. Also interesting to learn about key rings. How would that work for a charm bracelet that is linked similarly that I have created?

Kindest

Wallace.

Ps... I am so very glad I switched to London Assay Office. Wish I could have been on yesterday's tour, but a meeting meant I couldn't. Hopefully I can do the next one.
    Last edited by Wallace; 22-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.