Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper Stud Earrings (Advice)

Question Copper Stud Earrings (Advice)

Evening all,
    i've just bought some little Copper shapes and was planning to make Stud Earrings with them.
    I'll be making stems from Sterling Silver Wire but just wondered what do i tell my customers with regards to how to care for them when the Copper turns colour?
    Not really worked with Copper before, so not too sure.
    Thanks for all replies!

Copper and skin turning colour could be temporarily controlled with lacquer, until the lacquer wears.

Personally I would protect the backs by sweating them onto thin silver, so that only silver contacts skin. The copper/silver studs can be regularly restored by a quick dip in Goddards Silver Dip from a supermarket.

Dennis.

Thanks for the info Dennis.
    But i was thinking more about when the Copper goes dull and dark (as opposed to turning Green).
    Do pro polishing pads work on Copper?

You could set a trend for green ears!!!

I micromesh mine and they do still turn dull and dark after time. When you torch copper, it takes on some beautiful colours, which a lot of people really love. I use Rennaisance Wax to preserve the colour. It does fade a little in time, but it helps.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    I use Rennaisance Wax to preserve the colour. It does fade a little in time, but it helps.
    Yes, i've heard of this wax....will probably buy a tin to try it out.
    Thanks!

Where do you buy your wax from? x
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Renaissance Wax is available from lots of places - but is often cheapest on ebay. Otherwise - http://www.restexpress.co.uk/cgi-bin...ehtml#a1_21RWP isn't a bad bet.

Be careful though - a lot of places, particularly some of the metal clay shops, are selling the 65ml can for the same prices that the 200ml version is available for elsewhere.

Thanks George, tbh i only want the smallest pot, had a look on amazon, ebay is a good idea
    does it leave a greasy film or is it mostly absorbed? Trying to keep a mirror finish on some copper
    x
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

The finish is very slightly satin rather than mirror, but feels lovely. I find the most effective method is to paint gently warmed wax on with a fine haired paintbrush, allow to dry and then polish back. A couple or three thin layers work better than one thick one.