Thread: Maintaining tension in a Silver wrapped ring.

Default Maintaining tension in a Silver wrapped ring.

I have been asked to create a wrapped ring from a piece of 2mm thick by about 6mm wide reticulated silver, this to wrap the finger by one and a half times.. My problem is that an open wrapped ring can easily be produced but when wrapped cold I feel the silver even after work hardening will not hold its tension and over time will start to relax and open, should I attempt the wrap while the metal is hot from annealing?

Many thanks
    Last edited by art925; 24-10-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Poor old Les

Hi Les. I don't think you need to worry as 2mm is quite thick enough to hold its shape. If you're really concerned, then you could solder them together where the 2 bits of metal join.

Hi Les,

I think Carole is quite right and she has suggested an additional safeguard.

An alternative might be to make it two sizes too small and a little too long and then stretch it to size on a ring stretcher. That would harden it.

However I think the 2.0mm thick metal would make a very cumbersome ring and unpleasant to wear, particularly if it has a rough surface. So you might consider making it in copper first and letting the client confirm that the thickness is suitable. Regards, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Hi Les,

I think Carole is quite right and she has suggested an additional safeguard.

An alternative might be to make it two sizes too small and a little too long and then stretch it to size on a ring stretcher. That would harden it.

However I think the 2.0mm thick metal would make a very cumbersome ring and unpleasant to wear, particularly if it has a rough surface. So you might consider making it in copper first and letting the client confirm that the thickness is suitable. Regards, Dennis.
    Thanks Carole and Dennis for your feedback, following reticulation it would not remain 2mm thick, so I feel confident on the comfort issue. I also considered work hardening on the ring stretcher, but here my concern would be if the metal deformed slightly at the point of wrap over I will have to test this theory.
    Poor old Les

Yes it's all the boring research for one offs that I hate so much. What a relief when you're back to making something you've done before. Dennis.