Thread: Book p0rn

Default Book p0rn

I was going to continue to hijack the thread about what to do with sterling rod but thought the better of it. In there Carole (I think!) said that the Revere book had details on hinge making. As sixty quid for the old book was a bit too steep at the time and I wasn't sure if the hinge stuff was even in the old edition I put the idea on the back burner.

Trailuser however sent me his copy for me to look at and make my mind up about and yep, it's fab. So today I just bought it. And [this one][http://www.amazon.com/dp/0961598492/...26725410_item]. And as I was there and US Amazon prices are so much cheaper than UK ones, I got [this one][http://www.amazon.com/dp/1929565267/...26725410_item] as well because my formfolding attempts have been a rubbish. And because I had an unexpected expenses reimbursement and I've been poorly, I thought I would treat myself to [this][http://www.amazon.com/dp/1929565224/...26725410_item] even though I am terrified of setting stones.

I was tempted to buy the Oppi Untracht book on concepts and technology, but I think the Brepohl book is probably technical enough for me at the moment.

As they are coming from the USA even with postage they are less than half the UK prices (and more up to date). I do feel very guilty buying from such despicable tax dodgers, but will salve my conscience by using the savings to buy presents next week in my local book shop.

So, as I await the arrival, what other books do people have or recommend?

ETA: total flash linking fail!

Brepohl is very, very technical. Dry, detailed and precise - I'm very keen on it. Untracht is much more of a collection of disparate techniques, much less tech.
    Foldforming I've got mixed feelings about; the book's very good but I feel the technique is a bit lost on me - yes, if I squish the metal here it will move there. Um, and? Possibly it's the serendipity doesn't work for me.
    Cogswell probably remains my favourite on mount making, although visually Anastasia Young's book is better; I just quite like his style of writing.

Thanks to whoever it was posted about George Daniels' watchmaking, I now have a copy of his book; small mechanisms, improvised engineering techniques - well within the realms of transferable skills! Not quite sure it's ideal bedtime reading, but never mind.

Bah, the reviews I read said the Brepohl was less techie that the Untracht. Will see how I go with it. Wont be getting much practical use for a year or so, so time to absorb.

Foldforming fascinates me partly because it seems so unpredictable and partly because the organic shapes are just so cool. It is making me want to branch out into more mainstream stuff.

I'm glad you like the Cogswell, it was a bit of a punt and again focused on the future. I like all the A Young books I have (three so far), but find i get distracted by the pictures. I think the best book I have is Lewton-Brain's book on hinges. Few photos, lots of diagrams and text. Perfect.

George Daniels' watchmaking book is great think its my Favorite.

The idea of making watches... I think even if I slavishly followed the instructions and spent 10 years, I'd end up with something that was only telling the right time twice a day.