Thread: removing scratches

Default removing scratches

Afternoon all...

My friend has had her ring for a couple of weeks now, and I know its far from perfect. There are a couple of scratches caused when I was setting the stones.

I pinched down over the stone, and smoothed out as much as I could, but I did slip on a couple of occasion...causing a couple of scratches..

When i made it i sanded it back, going all way up to 2000 sand paper, then used red rouge and then polished...anyway i think i may have sanded too much around a couple of stones, because after the wedding a stone feel out...no surprise...i had her stone for a day and checked the other, couple seemed a bit loose so i pinched down over them again and smoothed out. But, i didn't sand down any marks i made this time as i was afraid to loosen the stones.

She has asked me to polish it up and see if i can get some of the marks out...which i am happy to do, these are small marks and not like the first lot, is sanding it back up to 2000 then using red rouge enough, or should i be adding in a step with other rouge in-between.

She said the scratches aren't obvious but as she looks at it all the time she has noticed some...

I am a bit embarrassed at telling you all that the stones were lose and one feel out, i know you have to start somewhere i just wish it hadn't been with something so important....seriously knocked my confidence and feeling angry at myself for screwing up

any advice as always is appreciated guys...

Much love
    Last edited by Toni; 07-10-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Aparrently i use the word Anyway too much when annoyed :)

Until you are fully confident, I would suggest you get a setter to set your stones on anything that really matters, Toni. Your customer would have paid the extra charge and you would now be a much happier bunny.

All jewellery pieces should be fully finished before setting is attempted and be well protected against slipping tools. The simplest way is to use a double or treble layer of decorator's masking tape. Then only the rim of a bezel, or a few claws will need some minor polishing, and this is done with silicon rubber wheels, leaving the tape in place.

Lastly a little meths, or celebratory vodka will remove traces of adhesive sometimes remaining.

Rings are usually held in ring clamps, but my picture of earrings below shows the use of tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ji Ear Studs With Double Tape.jpg  

tripoli between the sanding and rouge may help - masking tape is a great idea. I use it when setting faceted stones especially (I have arthritisy thumb and wrist and slip a lot!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ...or celebratory vodka will remove traces of adhesive sometimes remaining.
    I'm sure there's a difference between not being able to see the adhesive and it not being there?

For the final cleanup I usually use pink rubber wheels, finishing with rouge - but when I'm setting, the piece started out polished and I'm just trying to remove any new marks I've made. 2000grit, tripoli, rouge otherwise as said.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I'm sure there's a difference between not being able to see the adhesive and it not being there?
    Well Peter it's like this..........oh what the hell.... Cheers.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-10-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Until you are fully confident, I would suggest you get a setter to set your stones on anything that really matters, Toni. Your customer would have paid the extra charge and you would now be a much happier bunny.

All jewellery pieces should be fully finished before setting is attempted and be well protected against slipping tools. The simplest way is to use a double or treble layer of decorator's masking tape. Then only the rim of a bezel, or a few claws will need some minor polishing, and this is done with silicon rubber wheels, leaving the tape in place.

Lastly a little meths, or celebratory vodka will remove traces of adhesive sometimes remaining.

Rings are usually held in ring clamps, but my picture of earrings below shows the use of tape.
    If I had it my way I wouldn't have done it at all I had no previous experience with the flush settings and don't even know if I would have ever attempted it. But when you have been best friends with someone for over 15 years I am willing to at least try...she isn't bothered about it, but I am...nothing but perfection

The strip of gold was finished before I began with the settings, but I like the idea of masking tape...if I ever attempt it again
    I know why it happened, a mixture of the wrong tools and lack of experience...

thanks for the advice, ill add the Tripoli to the mix and hopefully ill finally be happy

cheers again peoples xx