Thread: Hallmarking in parts?

Default Hallmarking in parts?

I am making a complex 18ct white gold wedding band in four parts. Band with another pierced band on top, with a border on each edge. So my question is: Can I send the ring parts unassembled for hallmarking inside the main band? As I want to reduce any risk that the striking of the mark may disturb the other parts of the ring. And if I can send it in parts, do I need to send a piece of the solder I intend to use?

Thank you.

Just don't risk them denting. Get them 3D laser hallmarked and sleep well. Dennis.

You can at Birmingham, you'd be best giving the office you're using a call, they're usually very helpful.

I send all sorts of unassembled bits for hallmarking - including the flat stock that rings, bangles etc are going to be made from. I've never sent in a solder sample and I've never had a problem. As Dennis said, if I want the hallmark to be very apparent, I also go for a laser mark in an appropriate size.

see, clueless me did not know you could do this, I thought they had to be fully made up.
    I would have saved sooooo much money doing it this way (instead of making up one batch and sending, repeat etc).

I feel daft!

Thanks for all your help, I will call the London Hall to find out to be sure!

Yes you can send in all the bits....just so long as ALL the metal bits come in that'll be fine. We would try to stamp it rather than laser mark if possible though, unless of course we feel that by stamping it would cause damage in which case we would laser. It's in nobody's interest to have damaged goods!! - and also of course unless you request laser marking