Thread: Jewellery Parties

Default Jewellery Parties

Hello all. It's been a while since I posted due to other comitments. I hope all is well =)

Very recently, the idea of jewellery parties seems to be quite appealing - the main reason is not having to worry about grumpy / rude people as the audience would be ofcourse, friends & family. Kind of like a tupperware party, or an Avon party or a certain adult toy company party if you will, only with your own crafted goodies for sale.
    I'm wondering if anyone has had experiance with jewellery parties, either hosting at your own house or at someone else's, and how that played out. I'd love to hear your stories =)
    Sian Williamson

I've done some amazing ones where people have been egged by each other to spend loads, particularly at Christmas but I've also done some rubbish ones where people ooh and aah but don't take their purses out! You can never tell. I don't do them these days as I don't really promote them any more.

Thanks Carole. Sounds like it might be something to try without expecting too much then. The thing that concerns me is if one of my friends invites one of their friends - who is a person that I don't know (which is very likely to happen), I don't want them to scout the house ready for a rob. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid ><
    Did you do any at your own house?
    Sian Williamson

I was asked to do one for charity...(give a % of total to the charity)They listened very politely then simply sat around and chatted to each other and spent no money at all
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Hi I'd make sure that people were aware of prices before they turn up, otherwise it can be a wee bit uncomfortable if they all start giving each other the "It costs HOW MUCH?!" look.
    I've known a few people who've done really well out of parties, but also others who find that after a short while they're being avoided by their friends. I think as long as you approach it the right way, it could be a winner. Good luck xx

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I used to do them, before my other job took over my life. I had a regular group of people who were fab at getting another group together. It was always a party, drinks and goodies were always fab. I couldn't keep up with the stock once I started working. It was mostly the beaded stuff that sold, and I would have people come with their broken things to take on repairs. As a bonus, they started the commissions for silver/gold items.

I have never gotten back into doing parties. And, as my work has a higher price these days, I am aware this would reduce business.

Since giving up my day job, to concentrate on this, I have been busy; then dipped in sales; returned to some teaching; and, then got a swathe of commissions. As an additional good thing, I am now out of my blues... So active again.

I have been very lucky with Facebook and even Etsy (albeit to a lesser degree). Yes, I giveaway little pieces and encourage a bit of banter on my page, but I love it and, it has kept me sane in those recent very dark weeks that have just passed.

Friends inviting their friends to my FB page has been fab and I am building up a few likes. (hopefully, I have been courteous and visited yours, if I have seen a link)

Parties are probably still fun and do-able, but they need to know the prices ahead of time.

Kindest regards,

wallace
    Last edited by Wallace; 05-10-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Ipad corrections -note to self...must turn auto correct off!

Thanks all, there's some really solid advice there =)
    Sian Williamson