Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still learning

Default Still learning

Hello all you lovely jewellery makers! I'm still plodding along learning jewellery-making techniques. Since I last wrote I got my torch sorted out and now have a nice little Proxxon torch that does a great job. I tried out my very first soldering projects yesterday.
    I am creating a practice pendant from copper using every basic technique I've learned so far. I took a copper disc and pierced and cut a design in it, spent ages filing everything nice and smooth. Then I took another copper disc of the same size and textured it, then "sweat soldered" the cutout piece on top of it. It looks pretty good, but the edges obviously just look like two discs sandwiched together. What could I do to cover this up or make it look better?

It needs a rim Sandra. Get some copper wire and hammer it lightly until it is oval or flat. Then make a ring to fit your sandwich as well as possible and solder it on.

If you don't have copper wire, get a metre of earthing cable from your local electrical shop. It will have a bunch of them. they can be straightened by annealing and pulling hard.

This will also introduce you to making rings. A pic for the forum would be nice. regards, Dennis.

Ok thanks, I do have copper wire. I have nothing in my jewellery making books on creating a rim! I am trying to picture how to hold the rim on tight while soldering as well as keeping those bits of solder in place? I am using silver strip solder, maybe I should be using a paste instead. I have a book on soldering but it doesn't actually cover any of this. I may post a pic when finished, but compared to the other work I've seen posted here it's not much.

Sandra, soldering a rim of copper on copper with silver solder may result in a messy result if the solder runs across the front pierced section. I cannot visualize your pendant, but here is another option if the two plates are of reasonable thickness, how about filing a slight bevel around the piece, making the front pierced section slightly smaller diameter than the rear, and make the sandwich effect of two colours of copper and silver solder as part of the design when viewed from the front.

James

I really hesitate to post a picture but here is the side view. You can see I attempted a bit of slight hammering along the edge at first to see if it would help (it didn't) so hopefully now it isn't beyond hope. The piece is only about the size of a ten pence coin.
    If it is beyond fixing it's ok, I've got quite a collection building of failed projects already. I suppose I can reuse the metal at some point, somehow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	5140
    Last edited by Sandra; 02-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.

some (admittedly) patient filing around the edge should get rid of any obvious divide. I'd hold it edge up, and use a flat needle file whilst turning it steadily (so you don't lose it's roundness). You could oxidise the inset design and polish the top back if you wanted too. I love your flower

Actually now I've seen it, I think it's fine like that. I like the cream filled biscuit look..... Delicious. Just add a jump ring and wear it. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-10-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Hi Sandra,
    It looks like the solder may not have fully flowed to the edges of your discs. This may have been due to the edges of discs not sitting flat together, thus leaving gaps that the solder would not be able to fill; in sufficient solder used; or insufficient heat, when I first started soldering I was very tentative with heating pieces.

looking at this piece of work, which is a lovely design btw, you need to heat both of the discs, moving the heat around the whole of both discs sat together, and gradually concentrating the heat to the outer edges, where you have double thickness of metal. you should see the solder flush/run to the edges.

Then as Lydia suggests, a little careful filing of the edge will blend the 2 discs to look like one (it may be worth drawing or scribing a circle on the pierced disc to help you maintain the shape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JILLGRIBBLE72IM4.JPEG.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	5141

Here is a pair of cufflinks I made using the same technique and the single piece look when filed and blended.

Hope this helps.
    Tabby xx (Jill)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    Ok thanks, I do have copper wire. I have noweller's wndowsthing in my jewellery making books on creating a rim! I am trying to picture how to hold the rim on tight while soldering as well as keeping those bits of solder in place? I am using silver strip solder, maybe I should be using a paste instead.
    To answer this, I suggest you look at the section on ring making and sizing. You just make a ring to fit your pendant closely.

To solder it on, place them upside down on your block and solder from behind. Any messy effect due to excess solder will largely remain on the back where it does not matter.
    If you want the rim to be more raised on the front then place a small metal disc under the centre of the pendant pendant as a spacer.

Paste solder has its place, but it is not a panacea and can be messy and unreliable.

Note on Beginners, or possibly a rant.

Beginners seem to be very concerned about replicating what they see in jewellers' windows, even to the often banal designs and the high finish. They frequently enquire here about platers to achieve this.

There is not much point in making what is freely available already and probably more cheaply than you can do yourself. You will simply become a slave labourer.

What you make should be different and unique to you and is possible at every level of expertise. Forget about the high street and shopping mall and concentrate on your own vision.
    Last edited by Dennis; 03-10-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and ideas, it helps a great deal. Tabby thanks for posting the picture, it helps a lot to see it. Dennis I'm going to use the method you described on this pendant for practice on creating a rim. I'm not at all sure what to make of the rant for beginners though. I'm just hoping for something that doesn't end up in my growing pile of metal scrap from failed project attempts.

Regarding solder types, I've only tried silver strip solder so far, haven't used the paste. In fact my sandwiched pendant is my first solder project. My biggest problem in all this is the constant realisation I need more tools and supplies. Like today looking through a book of projects to my list added a doming block and punches, ring mandrel, solder probes and liver of sulphur. Oh and a charcoal brick, stainless steel shot, a metal shears and more sheet metal...
    Last edited by Sandra; 03-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.