Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Still learning

I'd say it's as broad as its long Sandra. The most important thing is that they're all completely flat and in contact with the sheet all the way along. It's definitely a job for James' clamps.

Which ever way round you do it Sandra, it will not be easy because you have to judge the amount of solder needed to avoid a flood. Also you seem to be using D-shaped wire, which is difficult to bend sideways and match up. All in all, I think you are doing very well, but I would make a bit extra and then discard the part that is not so good.

Your main constraint is that you are making an ambitious design with sheet and wire, while others might use etching, roll texturing, or even chasing. You will change your methods as you gather more tools and adopt other techniques.

As for paste solder, the problem is that it can decompose if heated directly. Ideally you get the whole piece up to a temperature at which the solder flows and don't play the flame on the paste at all.
    In this case it would be best to heat it from underneath. So you could support a square of steel gauze between to bricks to raise it up and get your flame under it. A mini torch will probably not be hot enough for this though. Dennis.

Thanks guys. I wasn't concerned about this idea until the part about my torch. I think I'll put this idea on hold until I get a better one. I probably am overheating the paste, it never seems to get that liquid metal flow as regular silver strip solder so I assume it's not hot enough and aim the flame directly on the paste.