Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Still learning

Sandra, have you tried making and using a soldering clamp to hold the jumprings while soldering? I am sure you could come up with a shape that suits the job.
    For those who have not seen them here are a couple of pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32 A selection of shaped clamps.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	5802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33a T shaped clamp example sheet, low res.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	5803

James

Somehow I didn't think to use those for this project. I will have some ready for next time.

More lessons learned - same project. Never assume you can bend a bail around a jump ring once it's soldered shut. And, make sure your pendant pieces are on the right way before you solder the jump ring shut for the 4th time!
    Last edited by Sandra; 16-03-2014 at 06:50 PM.

*Update*
    I've finished this project and since I've written so much about it I thought I'd post a picture. It's not amazing or anything I realise but I rather like it anyway. I may do another one similar right away while all the new lessons I've learned are fresh on my mind!

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	5805

I really like it. Well worth the effort!

I always solder my jump rings closed on chains, bracelets and necklaces for durability. Using the Titanium strips that James refers too definitely makes a big difference and is always how I do it.

Nick

I never solder all the rings closed on chains - I always leave those at the clasp unsoldered, firstly to provide a break point, but also because if there is a tug, it's a lot easier to replace a jump ring than a chain.

However, I do solder hundreds of rings a week, and wouldn't every use anything other than paste solder for these, simply because it's so much easier.

Sandra - the end result looks great!

Looks great Sandra!! I think your idea of doing another one whilst all your 'lessons learned' are fresh in your mind is a great way of mastering skills, it helps making future pieces with more confidence!!

Tabby xx

I solder jump rings shut on pendants and chains, and like George I always use solder paste for this - it's so much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I solder jump rings shut on pendants and chains, and like George I always use solder paste for this - it's so much easier!
    I'm not sure why but I've yet to succeed using solder paste. I don't know if I torch it too little or too long, but it never holds. I have the greatest success using easy solder though getting those little pieces to stay where you want can be a challenge! I've been using my titanium clamps for holding soldering pieces and they are really helpful. Soldering still is my weakest point though, this is what I need to find a course in. I haven't given up though!

I am concocting another design and hoping for a bit of advice (again!). I want to use one element I saw in another design, not copying, but using this particular idea to create something new. This is how I learn! I've been trying to work out the best way to do it. I first curved a piece of wire then cut into small pieces and thought to solder them individually on a silver base. But I'm wondering if it would be better to first solder longer lengths of wire together and then cut what I need and solder this to the silver back? I'm not sure if I am explaining this very well!

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	5958