Thread: Cup Burrs

Default Cup Burrs

Hi Folks,
    I usually make my own ear wires from sterling silver 0.8mm wire. Hand filing the ends got rather tiresome and I bought various sizes of cup burr. Although they round the ends a little I still end up sanding them so there are no sharp edges.

Is there a way I can use a burr that will not need extra hand finishing? Perhaps a better quality burr?

There are to kinds of cup burrs: those with slots, which have a cutting action, and plain ones with just ridges inside, which produce a rounder finish.

However you have more control with rubber, or silicon polishing wheels. My favourites are these, which you screw onto a mandrel and run on your motor at medium to slow speed.

When they develop a groove they can be quickly restored by running them on any flat diamond grit surface. They have plenty of other uses too, like polishing narrow metal edges, or polishing burnishers. Dennis.

http://www.bracon.co.uk/rw17-ruwa-un...s-pk-12-1.html
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-SID...-/262308696876

Thanks Dennis, Always like to add to my toolbox. Will give them a go. Possibly need the second type of cup burr.

I only use the cup burrs as a quick rough phase, the polish then end with some other medium Like Dennis mentioned I find even the fluted burrs do not polish to my
    satisfaction

I think it would take me longer to use a burr than it does to take a bit of sandpaper round the edge and polish it up on the machine

Thanks. Reassuring it isn't just me not using them correctly.

As luck would have it, I came onto this form this afternoon specifically to find a link to those diamond thingies to shape my silicon burrs. Always on hand Dennis, as ever...