Thread: A question about Foredom flex shaft

Default A question about Foredom flex shaft

I've finally decided to upgrade my cheapy pendant drill, as it doesn't spin dead straight any more (if it ever did!)

Going for a Foredom from Cousins - https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/eq...ndpiece#select the 3 jaw number 30 handpiece, as I used this one on my stone setting course and really liked it. I'm also going to get the drill press for it, as not having a pillar drill does my head in when I'm trying to drill straight through something.

My question is, if I buy this one, is the handpiece interchangeable? I want to get a 44T handpiece to take larger shank size polishing mops. I tried calling Cousins to ask but their phone is either always engaged or they don't answer it.

love to know how you get on with it, that's next on my big wish list!

Yes, the Foredom handpieces are interchangeable. As Dennis predicted, these days I rarely use my pendant motor, preferring the micromotor for almost everything; the only times I use the pendant motor now are if a) I've got something I want to spin that's not 3/32 shank or b) I need both tools turning at the same time (shaping beading tools, for example).

For stone setting, I wouldn't want to go back to a pendant motor - the drag from the cable is awkward when you're trying to exercise fine motor skills. No pun intended.

As for where you buy it... Let's hope it's not a DOA!

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    As for where you buy it... Let's hope it's not a DOA!
    Oh god, I know! I did dither, but they appear to be the only company that sells the foredom with the 30 handpiece.

Finally bought my Foredom, hurrah! Found someone else that sold them with all the handpieces separate so could get both the ones I wanted and didn't have to take the risk of ordering from Cousins after your experience with them Peter!

Also got a drill press for it, as I'm terrible at drilling holes straight but don't have room for a pillar drill, and a little vice for it. Waiting impatiently for it to arrive now...

The Weirdly Wonderful Isle and Royal Manor of Portland

Hi Lauren, would you mind telling me where you bought your Foredom from in the end ? I bought mine from Cousins and had so much trouble when the foot pedal turned out to have a faulty trigger switch causing it to run at one speed only (mega fast). Cousins insisted that it was because I wasn't pressing down far enough on the foot pedal DOH !!!! and refused to accept the fact that this would just make the motor run faster ... gobsmacking) Amazing though how quickly it was resolved by a call to the lovely people at Foredom in America ... anyway, rant over ... I want to buy a hammer attachment but refuse to use Cousins on principle.

I got my hammer handpiece from Suttons. Delivered next day and the usual lovely service Bit of a discount for GOJD members too...

The Weirdly Wonderful Isle and Royal Manor of Portland

Thank you george, I suppose it's worth paying a little extra for peace of mind, but I'm just a bit tempted by the duplex spring version

I've not really felt the need for the duplex spring - although it could be a case of not missing what you've never had.
    ACJ members also get a discount with Sutton, BTW

As for who to buy it from, karma's a nuisance at times