Thread: Cast Cufflinks

Default Cast Cufflinks

Hello everyone,

A while ago I bought some delft clay on the intention to try some casting. I've finally got round to giving it a go and really enjoyed the process. Im a Tool and Pattern maker by day so I have some idea on how moulds work but having never worked with molten metal found it very exciting....and scary.

I made a pair of cufflinks for my father in law using sheet silver and layering three triangles. I took that design and edited it slightly and felt they looked nicer and made a pair for my dad. I sculpted a master in propoxy and sculpted the backing as well as I didnt want to use a bought swivel backing for it.

Then through trial and error and working out air holes etc managed to get a nice cast from it. Ive only got a plumbers torch which took ages to heat the metal up so I dont think I could cast anything larger than this piece. I have learnt alot from doing this and am relatively pleased with the result. Im still struggling with the polishing stage, still getting little scratches on the surface but I've read some articles and learnt a few things where im going wrong. Here are some photos of the cufflinks, made from sterling I hope you like them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	5112

Looks great, very nice design.,bet your Dads made up

That looks like a really nice finish John, quite a few edges and angles to get tidy there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JonLendrum View Post
    Ive only got a plumbers torch which took ages to heat the metal up
    They are fab Jon, anyone would be pleased with them. Arising from that:

If you are not ready for a bigger set up, why not use two plumbers torches, one in each hand?

You can also improvise a kiln out of soldering blocks to concentrate the heat.

It is possible with a loose brass clip, to partially close the air hole for a softer flame if soldering or annealing, although this is not officially approved by the makers.

Have you tried the grades of 3M radial disk for polishing castings, starting with white? Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg   s Improvised chamber for conserving heat..jpg  

really lovely looking Jon.

These look great - especially like the backs, which follow the design theme beautifully

These look lovely Jon. Have you ever seen these for polishing? https://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/to...anders-mounted
    I use them religiously for castings.

Think i'm going to go & get myself some radial disks too - never need an excuse to try something new

Those look really good Jon!

Thank you so much for all your comments, really appreciate it! Those sanding barrel things look great, i'll be getting some of those. What grit sandpaper do you go up to if you want a mirror finish?

Again thanks for yuor kind comments

Hi John, I go right down to the 1000 grit and then give pieces a final whizz with my polishing wheel - just because i'm fussy

They were recommended a few years ago & I find them really quick - I also use the super abrasive sanding drums for some stuff, but it's not usually necessary.

I finish with P175 from the polishing shop, but everyone probably has an opinion of their favorite compound & the best wheels to use.

Have a look at this; http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/ac...ing_Guide.html