Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Gift Idea, And A Handy Hi

Default A Gift Idea, And A Handy Hi

Gift Idea.

What do you do when someone who doesn’t wear jewellery, brings you a large cabochon and asks you to make something with it? Well, my first response was to think of some kind of box, with the stone mounted in the lid.

But rather than make a useless dust collector I went for a dust collector with a purpose. So here is my silver box incorporating a pencil sharpener. It is held in place by screws and washers and two threaded tubes, in case it needs to be replaced in the future.

Handy Hint.

If you are about to throw out an electrical appliance incorporating a heating element, it is likely to contain a sheet of mica, which is a silver-grey flame proof mineral, used for insulation and to support the wires. The piece I found is exactly 1.0mm thick but can be split with a craft knife, which also could be used to cut it, although that is more easily done with a saw. Alternatively, you can find small sheets online.

The first picture shows a rectangle of mica, with the exact length and breadth of the sharpener, wedged in place to locate the threaded tubes and a little retaining bar, prior to soldering. On the outside, a thin sliver of it has been placed under the twisted wire decoration, so that it could eventually be cut off flush with the front.

Other uses are bound to occur to you in times of need. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sh Mica Placed For Sodering.jpg   sh Sharpener In A  Box Open.jpg   sh Sharpener In A  Box.jpg  

What a clever clogs you are Dennis. How do you come up with these ideas? It's absolutely fab.

Dennis - I love that. What a brilliant, not to mention ingenious idea

Awesome stuff!
    I wish I could have a miniature Dennis I could use for reference in my studio.
    Sadly the previous convictions prevent it :-(

Thanks Carole, George and Lydia,

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    How do you come up with these ideas?
    I don't sleep well.

regards, Dennis.

That's really clever,....would never have thought of that myself.
    Looks great too!

This is great Dennis - It would make a perfect Christmas pressie!!
    Right, that's the mother-in-law sorted

That's utterly fab Dennis ; I get loads of ideas when I can't sleep too, but none as good as your pencil sharpener.
    Jules

I don't get good ideas on the many occasions these days that I can't sleep, but occasionally wake up with one. That's a brilliant pencil sharpener Dennis.
    Elaine at Mead Moon
    Mead Moon
    My Etsy shop

Poshest pencil sharpener ever! What a fab idea, and perfectly executed as always.