Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a happy bunny.

Default Not a happy bunny.

After having my ear chewed by a customer this morning for a white gold casting that is completely out of my hands Does anyone know anything about Merrell casting in Birmingham?

I need a reliable gold caster who casts individual metals more than once a week & provide a finishing service. Someone who doesn't mind a lot of "little silver" orders.

More than a little upset after having to sincerely apologise & give a discount when I have now submitted this customers waxes twice & there's still "casting problems"!!! I've NEVER had to do this before
    Thanks all.

I'm not surprised Lucie, Miscasting should be a rare event, and could be forstalled by having a mould made first.

I have used West one castings, Hatton Garden, without problems and there is also a thread here: http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sho...hlight=Casters, although I notice that the dreaded Merrell is mentioned.

Hope you will return to normality elsewhere. Dennis.

Nexgen and Niagara Falls are good.

Thanks so much Dennis & Carole. Merrel isn't actually my current caster - I just saw an ad from them yesterday & was considering them as they state they cast "all metals every day" & have an average 2 day turn around, unlike my current one where i'm waiting over 10 days! Sounds like they're best avoided too Dennis?

I was so upset this morning. The customer has paid £600 upfront for a job that I stated would take 6 weeks. The casters have always been superb with my silver castings & i've never had a problem before.

Do either of you have any idea about "turn around times" with the other casters?

Well, the 6 weeks are now up. Casting #1 came back with a hairline crack, so I remade the wax, only to be called a week later and told that there is a hole in the back of the piece that is significant enough to require repair. This apparently can just happen as part of the casting process???
    They have sent it off to a laser polisher to do "something" with it & haven't had it back yet.

I really have to phone the customer back with some answers, but without actually having the pendant in my hand to verify it's ok, I have no idea what to say.
    I'm offering a discount, but am currently at my wits end with this.

I've used Merrell, and would highly recommend. I was just sending occasional small student pieces, always got them back within a week, even when I wanted them to make a mould and give me multiples. No problems.

They were always really helpful on the phone. One time a delicate wax got damaged in the post, and they gave me the choice of sending it back, or letting them repair it (which they did well).

Hi Fay. Thanks very much for the reply. When I phoned them, they said they usually had a 2 day turn around - depending on how many orders they were casting.
    I just wondered if this was realistic & hate using people without recommendation!

Sorry, having seen the M word in you first post, I took it to mean it was them you were having trouble with: a misunderstanding. Dennis.

Nexgen are good but very slow. Most things take about a month from start to finish.

Thank you everyone for the help.
    Carole - Wow, a month really is a long time. Maybe I should think about how long i tell my customers things will take. I say 6 weeks & that's always been fine, until something like this goes wrong.
    Dennis - That's absolutely fine. Your advice is always very much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Thank you everyone for the help.
    Carole - Wow, a month really is a long time. Maybe I should think about how long i tell my customers things will take. I say 6 weeks & that's always been fine,
    In my experience, always overestimate completion time, early delivery is a bonus, late delivery is never forgotten!!

I have used nexgen for sometime now, having spoken to them, my understanding is that their care to make sure you get a good result is fairly comprehensive, from tweaking of the original model to ensure spruing and casting are successful, to mold making, casting, finishing, if required, it's no wonder it takes a few weeks!!
    I'd highly recommend them