Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting Questions

Default Casting Questions

Hi

I would like to have a mold made of the charms pictured so I could have them cast (multiple times) in sterling silver. The charms pictured are copper plated in silver. Could anyone advise me of how I could go about this? (The only experience of casting I have is lost-wax casting and as this was through a course the tutor arranged the casting to be carried out all I had to do was carve the wax!)

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Hope you can help!

Ruth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.368991036_hnv7.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	5046

If you send your patterns to a caster, they will make mould rubbers of them so that they can mould any amount of waxes you require for lost wax casting.

There will be a one off charge for the rubber moulds, but from then on you own them. If you want multiples of these three sizes, I would consider joining them together so that you only need one rubber wax mould of the three which means less cost than three sets of rubbers and also each single casting charge would give you the three items, which you will need to cut apart after casting.

James

Hi James

Thanks for the quick reply, and advice about joining them together, that had never occurred to me but makes perfect sense! Do you have any recommendations as to any companies which could be used to create the moulds and carry out the casting?

Regards

Ruth

I depends where you are based Ruth, if you are near London, try West One Castings, 24 Hatton Garden, London EC1N 8BQ.

Or try Niagara Falls Castings; http://www.nf-castings.co.uk/web2008/ ,as they do a great postal service and have served me well in the past.

James

I'm based in Glasgow so will look into Niagara Falls Castings, your help is much appreciated.

Ruth

Just a word of caution though - are the originals your own design? If you've bought them in (and when you say plated copper, I just wondered if you might have done) you don't have copyright on the design and should not be duplicating them.

Ruth, this was a job that Niagara Falls casting did for me, I sent them these stag half models that I made using copper and wax, they made moulds of each half and cast them in silver so that I could solder the halves together, then I added some antlers and texture the whole stag's fur. I was sent my original model back with the castings along with a mould number in case I wanted further castings from the same moulds, which they hold in my name amongst their stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JM stag waxes3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	5048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JM stag waxes4.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	5049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JM stag waxes5a.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	5050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JJ51h, stag finished.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	5051

James

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Just a word of caution though - are the originals your own design? If you've bought them in (and when you say plated copper, I just wondered if you might have done) you don't have copyright on the design and should not be duplicating them.
    Seconded - if they are not your design you should not be having copies made

Hi James,
    I've been looking at your photographs of the stag (stunning by the way!) & was just wondering - why the copper on the cut line?
    I make lots of non-jewellery related sculptures & i've never seen this done before.
    Was there a reason to solder together afterwards rather than joining the waxes prior to casting?

Hollow form rather than solid, perhaps?