Thread: 9ct White Gold Castings

Default 9ct White Gold Castings

Hi everyone,
    Just wondered whether this is a common problem.

I sent off a pendant to be cast in 9ct white. It came back with a small hairline crack, so I re-made it & had it re-cast.
    This time there's no crack, but a small "pit" hole in the back - big enough to be problematic.
    The caster is great & is going to get it sorted (not quite sure how).

There was NOTHING wrong with either wax- they had been polished & surfaces were free from imperfection.

My silver ones were fine as usual & were made from the same batch of wax at the same time, so I know the wax wasn't contaminated.
    This has now added 2+ weeks onto my order time, so if I'm doing something wrong, I need to get it sorted sharpish.

Should I be using a different wax or is this simply go part & parcel with white gold casting? Have had to offer the customer a discount as an apology & hate not meeting my deadlines

Thanks a lot x

Lucie, this appears to be a casting problem. While it might be that there are very thick parts, which would be best hollowed out in the wax before casting, the company should be advising you and explaining exactly what is gong wrong.

Otherwise find a new caster. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the advice. The pendants are literally flat pieces, roughly the size of a 50p, so definitely no thick sections or parts to be hollowed.
    At least it doesn't sound like I'm doing anything fundamentally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the advice. The pendants are literally flat pieces, roughly the size of a 50p, so definitely no thick sections or parts to be hollowed.
    At least it doesn't sound like I'm doing anything fundamentally wrong.
    Well if you are not making many of each design, you could also consider casting them yourself in delft clay: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=De...nel=np&source=

Or make a mould and use metal clay. Dennis.

Thanks for the link Dennis. I've briefly seen delft clay before, but didn't know it could be used for gold casting. I'll have a look