Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw lubricant

I just use cellotape over the design. Probably a huge smithing no-no but meh, works for me =p
    Sian Williamson

Polish the metal you are going to pierce, paint it with China white poster paint, when it's dry draw on your design with a sharp pencil, if you make mistakes when drawing then you can just wet the paint and rub out the design faults. When you have the perfect design drawing, draw over the pencil lines with a scriber. I use a darning needle held in some pin vices for my scriber, when you have scribed the design wash off the paint and the design will be quite clear on the polished surface and ready for piercing. If your design is a printed copy then tape it to the white painted metal with a piece of carbon copy paper between the design and painted metal, then trace the pattern onto the painted metal using a sharp hard pencil before going through the scribing process.

James

Hi there. I used James' method and it works a real treat. On a tricky bit I went over the lines with a felt tip pen which sunk black colour into the scribed lines, made it even easier to see.
    Didi

Thank you all, will try the white paint and scribing with the next attempt. I'm having another problem in that my hole punch is leaving indents around the hole. I can't seem to press any lighter because then the punch won't go through the metal. I think I either need to break out my drill or buy a thinner piece of copper sheet.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

It wouldn't be a bad skill to learn. Hole punches are not something I am familiar with in metals - but I have seen them on a video somewhere. Drill bits are cheap enough, it is the appliance you use that can be more costly. A cheap hand drill wouldn't set you back too much - but it would seem you are nearing the path of the need more tools to do more things.... It is a long road, filled with many gadgets and tools. I am not sure what you have already - but be wary of going for things that are too cheap.

To start with, a little archimedian drill will do the job just fine. Hole punches are OK, but need a bit of cushioning - try putting a little bit of card either side before you punch.

Well I may be new at all this but this does not look like jewellers rouge to me!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130904_120746.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	5077

Ah, it's nascent jeweller's rouge. What you need to do is leave it out in the rain for a few months, then, when it's completely turned to rust, grind it down into as fine a powder as you can, mix it with some tallow and then you've got rouge.

Ah, cobblers is it.

Chemically close, but that's about it.

And so it goes. Never noticed the error in packaging it till I opened it up to polish my first piercing project. So next I moved on to trying out my hubby's drill to start another piercing project but none of the bits I've tried seem to cut through the copper. It could just be me as I've never used a drill before. All in all a very unfruitful jewellery-making day.

Sandra

Thanks for the posts, and sorry for the label error, was everything else Ok with your order ?

Regards

Adam Hunter
    Commercial Manager