Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw lubricant

Default Saw lubricant

Well I was just about to start my very first piercing project and discovered I need saw lubricant. Arrggh! Since it is Sunday afternoon I doubt I can find anything today, is there an everyday household item that could work as a replacement? I have candles but they wouldn't be pure bees wax. How about a bar of soap?

A candle, or a block of hard soap is fine. Or spit, favoured by many...

You can also pierce quite happily without lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    A candle, or a block of hard soap is fine. Or spit, favoured by many...

You can also pierce quite happily without lubricant.
    Ok thanks!

As george says, a wax candle is perfect and it is true you don't need to always lubricate the blade. I have used candles as saw lubricant when needed, throughout my career. A tip is to rub the candle onto the rear of the saw blade which helps keep the cutting line clear.
    Happy piercing.

James

While on the subject of saw blades, do you all find that they break more easily than they used to, or am I getting more heavy handed? Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    While on the subject of saw blades, do you all find that they break more easily than they used to, or am I getting more heavy handed? Dennis.
    Definitely! I also find they blunt far faster than they used to (if they haven't broken before they get a chance!)

Well this experience has been interesting so far! Halfway through my piercing project and haven't broken a saw blade yet. The candle is working out just fine as a lubricant. My main problem has been the paper design I so carefully glued on the metal to use as a pattern is just not a good idea. One, I can't really see what I'm sawing as the paper is in the way, and two, pieces of it have ripped off during sawing. Back in the house figuring out a plan b. A non-permanent marker perhaps...

I generally scribe my guidelines, but you can use a fine permanent marker, which can either be removed with acetone or just burned off at the end.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    Well this experience has been interesting so far! Halfway through my piercing project and haven't broken a saw blade yet. The candle is working out just fine as a lubricant. My main problem has been the paper design I so carefully glued on the metal to use as a pattern is just not a good idea. One, I can't really see what I'm sawing as the paper is in the way, and two, pieces of it have ripped off during sawing. Back in the house figuring out a plan b. A non-permanent marker perhaps...
    You could copy your design onto some wax transfer paper (link to an example of what I mean). Essentially, it transfers, like the old tracing paper, but in colour. Place your metal at the very bottom. Blu-tack it onto the metal, place design on top and using a sharp pen, trace around the design. Lift of and you will have a design that does not rub off easily, but will remove with heat and soapy water. I like using the red wax paper as it is more durable.

Failing that, print it off on a sticky label. They tend not to move and you can cut through them pretty easily.

Failing that, you can place your design on top of the metal and create your design in dots. You can easily join the dots afterwards with a pointed metal scribe. This takes a while, but is useful also if you ever go into wax designs.

and failing that, free hand with a permanent ohp marker pen. They stay on the metal better than a sharpie. A non-permanent marker will rub of in seconds and a permanent marker may struggle.

I am sure others will come up with some other ideas.

kindest, Wallace
    Last edited by Wallace; 02-09-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added web link to wax paper

I have the same problem, I stick paper on with Pritt stick and that comes off so does a sharpie so labels and OHP pens seem a good idea, will give it a try. Did you go up to the IJL show Wallace, we went up, found I didnt have your number on my new phone, sorry I couldnt ring you, and Sam never had it. We examined every nook and cranny and met some people on this forum, which was nice to be able to put a face to a name. Very tiring day though, and was kept up by one of my dogs who woke me up screaming at 2.30am, she must have had a nightmare as she was shaking, poor little thing, so I did something I have never done before and let her cuddle up between us in bed, she was fine after that, then got off the bed and went downstairs, then started again at 4ish. So I am a bit sleep deprived today.