Thread: Can I torch fire a PMC3 piece with a diamond in it?

Default Can I torch fire a PMC3 piece with a diamond in it?

Hi,

I've been using PMC3 and torch firing the pieces. Does anyone know if its possible to torch fire a PMC3 piece about 1" by 1" with a 5 point diamond set in it? It would only really be fired with the orange flame (not the blue flame) for about 2-3 mins in total. I've read online that diamonds can explode?? What if I place the piece with the diamond side down on a wire firing shelf? I was hoping to be able to set a diamond in the piece as a gift for my daughter's birthday

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I don't use PMC but have, on occasion, repaired a ring or two with a diamond in it. The diamond was protected from direct flame and heat and let to cool naturally before pickling. This said, if the stone can be removed and replaced back in it's setting, that is the safest way and best practice. Failing that, do not apply direct heat and flames onto it. This applies to any stone that is nine or ten on the moh scale, with the exception of emeralds, which can and do collapse with too much heat.

More and more diamonds, rubies and sapphires are coming onto the market that have been filled with glass as a stabilising or filling treatment for fractures. This has a huge impact on heating and will most likely be the cause for breaking under heat, bursting in kilns and why, when you purchase one, you need to make sure you ask the question 'is it treated in any way?'. Some colouring treatments include high levels of temperatures in some stones.

One of the tutors, I have come across, explained that diamonds have a tendency to go milky and change colour when heated, so make sure it is protected.

I would guess with the PMC the theory still remains the same.
    Last edited by Wallace; 30-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.

you can also burn diamonds....they go milky white...best to have the stone set after you've done the torch work i think.

thanks fo erthe replies, I will find an alternative

Any cheap artificial stone will do, as long as you let it air cool, and AE Ward have a good selection of colours. Please note that when you enclose the back of a stone you alter its characteristics so strong colours such as red, blue, or green do best. Dennis.