Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner's Project Ideas

Lightbulb Beginner's Project Ideas

Hello jewellery makers,

Does anyone have ideas (preferably with instructions!) for beginner's jewellery projects? I am most intrigued by designs using both silver and copper, challenging but not too difficult as I am not too experienced at anything (YET)!
    Last edited by Sandra; 28-08-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Hi Sandra. Without knowing what equipment you have, it would be difficult to recommend anything.

Many beginners just start with metal clays and never get much further. You can produce some credible pieces that way, with only a few tools, but it's an expensive way to use metals and hardly familiarises you with the jewellers craft.

What immediately springs to mind is to recommend a beginners book with projects and you might get TWO-IN-ONE MANUALS JEWELLERY, by Madeline Coles, which is not too expensive, has 23 projects and lots about the common jewellery techniques.

Another short cut is to join a part time beginners curse, so that you can get a better overview of the subject and try all the tools.

Let us know how you get on. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Thanks for the replies, and I realise now I didn't give vey much information! Supplies I have are bench vice, bench pin, jewellers saw, torch, soldering materials, various types of pliers and hammers, drill, metal alphabet punches, bracelet-size mandrel and probably other things I can't think of at the moment.
    I've worked a bit with clay but I'm not satisfied with that- I need to get into actual actual metal work!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

for some really basic and good ideas (and tips) Stephen O'Keefe is a good starter for 10 for ideas and designs, techniques and ideas with a variety of metals. I got myself a copy according to amazon at the beginning of January 2004 - good grief, really, how time flies when you are having fun at the bench.

a quick link - he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he does explain it for those on the pathway. He helped me in my early days.

Amazon link

Hi Sandra

You might like to check out your local library and see what silversmithing/jewellery-making books they have. That would allow you to see if the projects appeal to you, and whether the information given is comprehensive or patchy.

As Dennis has suggested, if there are any colleges or workshops in your area offering part time courses, you can benefit from the knowledge and support of the tutor while you develop your ideas & skills; you can also access a wide range of tools without breaking the bank

Good luck...

Thank you Wallace, I will take a look at the book. I have purchased several books now and others downloaded onto Kindle. Problem is there is just SO much info out there I can't figure out where to start! I'm almost nervous to get started...

Oh Ada Ive recently done just that. The books I found were not anything I found helpful at this stage, but thank you for the advice! Now that autumn is almost upon us I will check into any possible courses in the area. I just need a little help to get going!
    Last edited by Sandra; 28-08-2013 at 10:11 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

another thing to get you started might be a theme and develop a mood board, jot down some sketches and see if you can do something with them. I used to draw boxes of a given height and then make patterns inside them, either by drilling, sawing or adding other pieces. It was a good way to learn how to drill, saw and solder. Sometimes it would be a leaf, a dog, an owl or even mushrooms and poppies all in a 5cm square box.

Just an idea.

as you mention, you do need get your metal out and indeed start creating - it won't happen without some practice. I have been at this for a long while now (according to amazon, since January 2004 with the metal stuff) and then the hallmark had a renewal notice this week (fortunately I have moved to LOA - and loving it there)

good luck.

Hi Sandra, welcome to the forum.

You mention tools but what metal do you already have? Copper, silver, wire, sheet? Size? If you don't want to make additional purchases, then this may limit your options when it comes to deciding what to make.

And apart from art clay projects, what techniques are you familiar with? What sort of things have you already made - and what would you like to make?

It'll be easier for folks here to help if you could provide a little more information of what sort of project you have in mind.

Have you tried googling youtube for ideas? There are some great project tutorials around for beginners.

Susie