Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner's Project Ideas

Oh yes I would definitely not copy anything but i am just looking at the basic ideas to get going on my own design. If I did the cutout design I would use that same idea but use my own drawing (which would have nothing to do with flowers.) Same for the layered piece, would use different shapes, different quotes and different cutout overlay piece. I just need something to look for inspiration to get going!
    I do have a couple sets of (unused) alphabet punch stamps. The cutout design might help with getting used to the jewellers saw.
    But I'm still unsure whether these are too sophisticated a design as a first project.

The first thing I ever made was a band ring from 1.5mm sheet. The second was a hammered one. The third was a bezel set ring.
    Once you start having a play, you'll get a feeling for what you enjoy and what interests you. Like others here have said, it's important to get the basics done well (filing/sawing/finishing) before getting really creative.
    My first tutor insisted I buy this book, and I've found it a great how-to guide when I've been stuck, but also raid my library for anything and everything they have. This place is brilliant for tips and help though! Enjoy!

ETA book! http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete.../dp/0871922401

The first think I made was a pattern of squares 4mm across, out of copper, 11x11 squares. Marking, scribing, piercing and filing. I made quite a few of those actually, we couldn't move on from an exercise until it was perfect and were encouraged to start over (more practice) than fix what we had done so far.

I didn't make any jewellery 'til about 8 months into my apprenticeship. The first bit of jewellery was a 2mm wide ring.....which had 3 joins....

I'd start with something simple which focuses more on techniques than design.

I forgot about mark making! (Blocked it out) of course there was a TON of that first!

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Oh, the things you miss being self taught! Lol

I'ts funny Wallace, I only did the first term of my City & Guilds ( a new job in a different part of London meant I couldn't continue - but my tutor still sneakily entered my term's work at the end of the year and I got the qualification!) but he was so thorough, I think if anyone else had taught me, I wouldn't have found it half as interesting. He made us do everything the 'proper' way, and was fab. It was a total fluke me finding the class (I wanted something local and hands on - I missed fine art and making things), but it ended up me finding the one thing I love doing above all else.

I don't miss the excercises though ;-)
    Last edited by LydiaNiz; 30-08-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    The first thing I ever made was a band ring from 1.5mm sheet. The second was a hammered one. The third was a bezel set ring.
    Once you start having a play, you'll get a feeling for what you enjoy and what interests you. Like others here have said, it's important to get the basics done well (filing/sawing/finishing) before getting really creative.
    My first tutor insisted I buy this book, and I've found it a great how-to guide when I've been stuck, but also raid my library for anything and everything they have. This place is brilliant for tips and help though! Enjoy!

ETA book! http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Complete.../dp/0871922401
    A plain band is a great and inexpensive start, you can use D wire and get to grips with perfect seaming. You can always add on to it as you get more adept. I think i read somewhere that making dozens of jumprings and soldering them is a good way to go too.
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

And yep the more piercing you do the better! it's a bit of a knack but so enjoyable when it clicks. Start simple and don't get discouraged just keep going, copper sheet is good to practice on as its so much cheaper, you won't be disappointed if its not wearable jewelry to begin with. The poppy pendant Jess made looks deceptively simple but that is a hard won skill, just trying to follow a straight line will give you a headache for quite a while remember to relax your grip and let the blade do the work (harder than it sounds lol)
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

A full day of attempted jewellery-making - I am bloody, bruised and sore with nothing worthy of wearing. But I can't wait to get back at it tomorrow

The first thing I made was a ring and like Lydia, out of sheet, then another, then came the one with a stone in. The fourth one was my own design but pushing the boundaries a little (I lied, a lot), been pushing boundaries ever since. If you get an idea, draw it, even if you think you cant make it right at this moment, you will be surprised at how soon the design looks easy. If I were giving advice to a new person, I would say, make sure the item is finished without a scratch or dent on it, its one area that I really struggle with even now, four years on. I have to force myself to sand, sand, sand then when its polished it comes up beautiful, but it needs patience and thats something I dont have.