Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What torch?

Default What torch?

After years of managing with one of those 'canister with a nozzle on top' torches, I am looking to buy myself a proper one. Can anyone recommend anything in particular? Suggestions would be appreciated, thank you

Kimkie

It all depends on what Jobs you'd like to do with it. I've got a larger torch, bought from B&Q for those jobs which require a bit more heat, plus a Nimrod for teeny tiny jobs with a very fine flame and a Lakeland torch for medium type stuff with a bushy flame. Then there's the torches which have a proper gas cannister involved and loads of other techy stuff. I'm sure other swill pop alone with their recommendations too....Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.
    Jules

My torch is similar to 999AKZ1 on Cooksons. It copes with all my soldering requirements. I've only ever used a Propane torch and the bottles seem to last forever.

Yes mine is similar to Anna's, and the bottles do last forever. I also have a small one from Lakeland but that one seems to run out very quickly and the gas is quite expensive to buy. I tried the Poundshop, because they sell them but for some reason it doesnt seem to burn as well as the more expensive one, so better to pay a bit more.

If you are considering buying the sievert torch shown in the link above, look here
    I've got a smiths little torch hongkong knock off and I'm very happy with it, but it also requires a supply of Oxygen as well as fuel.

That's great, thanks folks. I have avoided having a tank of gas as my workshop isn't ideal, but I am finding I need a bit more oomph with some of my chunkier pieces.
    I will probably go with the Sievert, but thank you for the help :-)

For most work I use my Smiths Little torch, but as others have said this requires oxygen and propane. I also use the Sievert along with many of the different nozzles. My only gripe with the Sievert is the size of the actual torch, I like a small torch when soldering at the bench. The only other option that is rarely suggested these days, but something I used for many years before starting on oxy/gas, is a standard mouth blown torch, attached to a gas supply on low pressure and either blown by mouth or the air supply was powered by a small electric blower, like one of those blowers used on ink jet pens.

James

If you don't want a large tank, consider an orca (much nicer balance than the horrid clunky Sievert) with a MAPP cannister. With an adapter, you can use the same torch with a full size propane tank as well. The balance is much nicer and it comes with a range of tips.

I have an embarrassingly large collection of torches, including two little torches, which I run with propane and an oxycon rather than tanked oxy, but my go-to torches are always my better hand torches, which are more than enough for pretty much every jewellery task other than casting. I love the freedom of not having any hoses and being able to put my torch down wherever I want as well as being able to move round a piece without dragging a vulnerable hose with me.

If you do really want a sievert, I think these are still the cheapest option - http://gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Si...Torch_Kit.html

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Like George, I have many torches, but have finally settled for my little smith and my aquaflame thingy.

My orca now sits lonely in a drawer as I no longer need to take visits up to my mum. Very portable, but now redundant for my set up. It has connectors for mapp and for the big standard gas bottle. It is a wonderful beastie, but space and limits mean the two I now use can only have smaller support. I have a little nimrod for those spot soldering moments or power failure.

The orca remains a favourite tool from the past.
    Last edited by Wallace; 24-08-2013 at 09:52 AM.

That's all really helpful! Thank you.

I had forgotten about the tube dragging across the bench lark! Maybe I'll just stick with what I have :-)