Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not strictly 'made'

Default Not strictly 'made'

Has anybody ever dabbled with Zbrush for creating 3D models?

I've had a play with it and sculpted my first piece last week. It would be interesting to see any jewellery creations modeled from it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragonzbrush.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	5011

So have you got one of them new fangled 3d printer thingies then Alan?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    So have you got one of them new fangled 3d printer thingies then Alan?
    No, not yet Carole. Sisma haven't released there's yet for various reasons, so I bought another laser engraver - that's four now until I sell the old one :-)

I reckon it'll take me a fair while to master this 3D modelling yet anyway; working on a puma at the moment :-)

Name:	puma.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	5012

You're such a boy!

I reckon it'll take me a fair while to master this 3D modelling yet anyway; working on a puma at the moment :-)

Name:	puma.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	5012[/QUOTE]

I will be interested to see how your puma works out Alan, I made this one for a walking stick handle some years ago, made the traditional way of wax modelling before casting, in sections as it was hollow.

James

Name:	132a Puma cane handle.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	5013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132b Puma cane handle.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	5014

I'm still working on learning Rhino off & on; there is a more sculpting-oriented addon for it that's present in RhinoGold, but for the most part I'm sticking with the parametric interface.

I have a trial version of an plugin for Rhino that gives you 25 saves before you need to buy it. It's called Tsplines and makes Rhino 10 times easier to use. It gives you some good 'pushing and pulling' of the nodes capability.

It's Clayoo that's in RhinoGold - no idea how it compares with TSplines, there seem to be advocates for both.

I've got zbrush, just no time to play
    Looking good Alan, some of the stuff I've seen is amazing..there's a lot to learn & also the pitfalls of producing something that can actually work when cast is another matter.

Clayoo and Tsplines are very good for organic freeform modeling but they get clunky quickly when you start adding detail I have played a bit with zbrush but found the UI a bit mental also I found it difficult to produce accurate dimensions (ring size etc) without jumping through lots of hoops but as I said Ive only played with it. My current work flow is to get somewhere near in tsplines then import into sculptris (I suppose you could do the same with zbrush), to add detail been mindful of what detail you can actualy see after finishing on the finished model.I have also found that I start to wish I had a faster/more powerful pc the more I play with sculpting software ! there is lots of info on all these programs on a forum called www.3dcadjewelry.com
    Last edited by josef1; 22-08-2013 at 01:40 PM.