Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not strictly 'made'

Looking forward to seeing the finished puma Alan. Am fascinated by 3d stuff - I'd love to have the time and patience to learn about it, but my brain struggles enough with 3d when it comes to carving wax, so I've no hope with computers!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the finished puma Alan. Am fascinated by 3d stuff - I'd love to have the time and patience to learn about it, but my brain struggles enough with 3d when it comes to carving wax, so I've no hope with computers!
    I know how you feel :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    I've got zbrush, just no time to play
    Looking good Alan, some of the stuff I've seen is amazing..there's a lot to learn & also the pitfalls of producing something that can actually work when cast is another matter.
    So much to learn, so little time :-)

I can't see me getting to the really high level of skill with Zbrush but you never know.

This is a casting from a bought stock 3D model that I laser engraved recently. Much of the detail has been retained in the casting process. The polished version showed too many reflections so I beadblasted it to make it stand out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	man_pendant-a.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	5018 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	man_pendant-b.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	5019

Maybe I should enter him in the August Fire and Fall competition! :-)

Have you tried that shadowbox thing yet ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23795303 has some related news - the Makerbot desktop 3d scanner. Cheap & cheerful, not terribly accurate and not great with fuzzy or reflective objects (but pairs well with the domestic filament printers).

Oh, and I've finally seen a jewellery use for the cheap 3d printers: Printing jigs for workholding. Whether it's actually better than squidging a lump of polymorph around is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23795303 has some related news - the Makerbot desktop 3d scanner. Cheap & cheerful, not terribly accurate and not great with fuzzy or reflective objects (but pairs well with the domestic filament printers).

Oh, and I've finally seen a jewellery use for the cheap 3d printers: Printing jigs for workholding. Whether it's actually better than squidging a lump of polymorph around is another matter.
    That's interesting. If they improve the accuracy it might become quite useful.

True, but given it's aimed at the same market as the low-res printers, is there any point until they can catch up?

That looks like a promising shortcut.
    If you get a half decent scan, can`t you just ramp up the polycount in zbrush & send to someone with a decent printer?

I think it would be ok if you wanted to scan a potato but thats about it :-) ,the technology has been around for a while the resolution is just not there for fine jewellery yet unless you spend vast amounts of money on a dental based system, if you think you are making things with around 20 micron layers/step over (about a third of the tickness of an average human hair) things have got to be pretty hi resolution.that been said you could get a basic mesh form it and use that as a start in your sculpting software
    there is a system called david laser scanner you can set up with a web cam and a basic laser pointer its fun to do but I couldnt get good results.

http://www.david-3d.com/