Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for someone who can do electroplating

Default Looking for someone who can do electroplating

Hello, I'm not sure if this is in the correct section, I do apologise if it's not.
    This is basically a job oppertunity for someone who can do electroplating.

I have a client that loves motorbikes. He wanted a chain bracelet made from sterling silver but didn't want it to cost hundreds of pounds. Here is the style of bracelet that he has his heart set on:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0lifecycleb001.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	5010

Considering that he originally wanted it in full sterling, there's no way it can be made for under a few hundred quid. So, I made the suggestion that he take an old motorbike chain to an electroplater and have it cleaned up then plated with silver.
    If anyone would like this job of making the bracelet, please get in touch so I can put you both in touch.

NB No copyright breech intended. I am not responsible for any conversation between you and the client. I am not responsible for any exchanges of cash between you and the client, as soon as I put you in touch with eachother I no longer have dealings with this client on this subject matter.
    Sian Williamson

Not sure of this is any help at all, but I used to get a lot of baby shoes electroplated. A lot of companies (ones that electroplate themselves, rather than sending them off elsewhere) will offer trade rates if you're cheeky enough to ask

[QUOTE=Keia;58320].

I have a client that loves motorbikes. He wanted a chain bracelet made from sterling silver but didn't want it to cost hundreds of pounds. Here is the style of bracelet that he has his heart set on:

Hi

I had some bracelets like this made up in stainless steel when my child was going through a punk faze, maybe there is a designer on here working in that media, might be cheaper than solid silver and look more authentic in steel, just a thought.

JH

These are just made from old bicycle chains aren't they? I can remember doing this when I was a teenager - just tighten up the links a bit and polish.

hi Lucie - Thankyou for your suggestion, I'll certainly keep that in mind if no-one wants to take up this commission.

hi Wren - Thankyou for your idea with the stainless steel, I'll put that idea his way when I speak to him tonight.

Hi Mizgeorge - yes it's just an old chain. I'll try that if I can't find anyone who can silver plate and see if he'll be happy with that =)
    Sian Williamson

is he aware you can buy them in silver?
    http://www.silvertime.co.uk/jeweller...n-bracelet-50g

and on ebay you can get the odd bargain
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIG-HEAVY-...-/310714220975

I was looking into making one of these myself, or rather the components.

Stainless version abound.

However heavy the plating Sian, it will soon wear away in patches and scratches. I think he would be much better off wearing it as it is. regards, Dennis.

He's very set in his ways that he wants that exact style of chain in my photo, the ones in the links are not the style he wants Medusa =)
    I think you're right, Dennis. I'd need to do Mizgeorges suggestion of just polishing up an old one, or Wrens suggestion of finding someone who's able to craft with stainless steel.

Just noticed, Medusa did you say you're making stainless steel ones? Shall I put you in touch with him? Perhaps if you're trying to make some anyway you might be able to help him?
    Last edited by Keia; 20-08-2013 at 09:58 PM.
    Sian Williamson

Hi

Looking at this bracelet in the photograph I am curious to know how it is made as bike chain when arranged in this fashion with the links vertical and zig zagging actually put the non-flexing side on the curve, so to speak, anyone enlighten me? is it actually a bangle? fixed and bent to shape.

JH

Quote Originally Posted by Keia View Post
    He's very set in his ways that he wants that exact style of chain in my photo, the ones in the links are not the style he wants Medusa =)
    I think you're right, Dennis. I'd need to do Mizgeorges suggestion of just polishing up an old one, or Wrens suggestion of finding someone who's able to craft with stainless steel.

Just noticed, Medusa did you say you're making stainless steel ones? Shall I put you in touch with him? Perhaps if you're trying to make some anyway you might be able to help him?
    no no no! I was after them to cannibalise for the components! I did some digging and it seems it was designed by Ben Gould who raised a ton of cash via kick-starter and then disappeared.

The chain was made from scrap which was dismantled and put together again with what must be some kind of elastic running through it.

here are more pics on FB
    https://www.facebook.com/thinklifecycle