Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London Shows

Default London Shows

I am hoping to be accepted to see the International Jewellery Show in Earls Court, London on Sept 1st, is it worth going to as its a long way from Exeter to travel if its not. We have to do it in a day trip as my daughter is looking after our dogs and she is working on the Monday, so we have to be back before 7.00am when she starts work. Also does anyone know which train station is closest to Earls Court please.

I guess it depends on a) what you're looking for and b) what you want to get out of it. Have a good old trawl through their website and see who is exhibiting, what the seminars are and so on and you'll get a good idea of whether you think its worth it. We have a stand there this year so I would think it's worth going just to see our lovely faces!!!

I'll be along there on Monday. I believe Jura is exhibiting this year too.

I've not been to one of the IJL shows in London, so I can't comment on how good it is. I am going to this year's one though. Alan is exhibiting there.

The nearest underground is Earls Court, but you can get to it from most of the mainline stations in London. I presume that if you are travelling up from Exeter your train will arrive at Paddington Station? If it does, then you can get on the underground and take the district line (green line) direct to Earls Court, it's only 4 or 5 stops. A useful journey planning tool for the London transport system is here, it also has the tube map on it that you can download.
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Hope this helps x
    Last edited by kymbi; 20-08-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: forgot to add the planner link
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Thanks for all the info, if we decide to come up we will visit you Steve, we will probably be coming on the Sunday. Thanks for that Kym, will print it off later.

I wonder if Andrew Berry is demonstrating again this year? Well worth a look if he is!
    (of course that's with a sort-of competitor so I'll be quiet now )

Pat - I've just checked the fares for the tube journey and it's a whopping £4.50 for a single cash fare!!! As you probably don't have access to anyone who can loan you their pay-as-you-go Oyster card (single fare using Oyster is £2.10) then assuming you're travelling on the Sunday you would be better off buying an off peak one day travel card - providing you don't stray outside zone 2 then you can use the card on underground and bus as many times as you like for £7.30.

Here's the link for the fare structure http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Here's the link for the tube map showing the various zones http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

If you travel to London now and again, it can be worth buying a pay as you go oyster card and hanging on to it. You pay £5.00 deposit for the card and then in addition you decide how much you want to put onto the card, so if you want £10 worth of travel, then initial cost will be £15.00. If you decide you no longer want the card, then you can cash it in at any tube station - they will refund you any money left on the card plus your £5 deposit. Just remember to touch in and touch out at the entry/exit gates as there are automatic penalty fares if you don't. On the plus side, there is no expiry date on money balances left on the card.

Pay as you go cards are not person specific, so we always keep a few spares handy at our house for visitors as cash fares on the underground are extortionate. As our family is flung far and wide, meeting them at Heathrow with oyster cards at the ready avoids lengthy queues.

I first went to IJL a couple of years ago and as a novice felt quite a fraud being there but as I went round I kept seeing designs that were not a million miles away from ideas I had and I came away feeling quite positive, just realising that I really needed to actually make, rather than plan. This is still my downfall - too many ideas which overtake each other in complexity and become way beyond my skill level. I was going to go again last year, but my OH had such complimentary (not!) things to say about things that I made (I think "Um" was the best he came up with) that I had a huge crisis of confidence and didn't go last year and then mentally kicked myself for not going. The most positive thing he said about me getting a makers mark (sorry, Steve, STILL on my list of things to do) was that once it was hallmarked my daughter could sell it for scrap!

So, am registered and plan to go this year, not sure which day as I have booked holiday which spans all the days it's on as son and DIL are over from Singapore and it's my daughter's 30th on the Tuesday (which is strange as I'm sure I'm still in my 30s even though it's my mother's face that looks back in the mirror). Probably Sunday or Monday. Just reminded me to look out those spare Oyster cards ... .

Susie

Looking forward to seeing you susieq and helping you to knock off one of those "things to to" on your list! I'll be there on the Sunday Patstone so will see you too if you decide to brave it!

I've been every year since I graduated and I love it! I've been to some good seminars, seen some inspirational jewellery, and purchased some bargainous (not sure that's an actual word...) gemstones over the years.

Steve - I'm coming on Sunday so I'll pop by and say hi. I'm already registered with you guys anyway, but would be nice to put a face to the name

Pat, if you arrive at Paddington, make your way to the underground and take a Wimbledon bound train to West Brompton. The IJL show will be just across the road and much nearer than Earls Court Station. Hope you enjoy it, Dennis.