Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Website Payments.

Default Website Payments.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about this.
    I have a purely online business & I ended up building the site myself (cause it was cheap that way!) I didn't add a "web shop" as I couldn't find a way to make it workable - I sell basic pendants or charms, but then people can add stones / engraving charged by the letter, etc.

At the moment people pay me by Paypal, but a lot of people are put off because this is the only payment method I can accept

Barclays said that I could install a payment system on my site via them that would allow me to take other card payments. I was really pleased until they announced that they would hold my customers money for 90 days!!!!
    I can't exactly pay my casters, etc if haven't got access to my money.

Can anyone recommend another way of doing this? Thank you. x

I thought it was possible for people to pay via PayPal (with a card) without having an account

Thanks for the quick response!

As far as I know it is - it just seems to put a lot of people off not having any other options. Particularly older folk who would perhaps prefer to pay me over the phone.

I think I might have to go back & try to put together some kind of official webshop, but I can see it being really confusing & causing more of a headache and still doesn't solve the problem of taking phone payments.

My merchant account (the account you have which handles the credit and debit and american express payments) is with worldpay. They hand over the money much more quickly (within about 5-10 days once a week). Charges aren't too bad
    Having a merchant account will help your business. It makes a huge difference. People keep saying that you can pay through paypal without an account etc etc but they don't say that once they have a merchant account. You can also take orders over the phone with worldpay because some people don't trust the web with their info, or they've phoned with a query and now want to place an order.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Wow, thanks. That's much better.
    You've hit the nail on the head - these are the exact problems I've come up against. My own father-in-law won't touch paypal, as he seems to think it is powered by evil magics

The Barclay's merchant account wanted to hold my money for 90 days, unless I have a "insurance account" set up with £5000 in it (pigs are more likely to fly).

Is it quite straight forward to use?
    Thanks so much
    Last edited by Lucie; 19-08-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Worldpay is pretty straightforward, you don't have much to do, it pretty much does itself. They do tend to speak bank or computer so you might need someone to set up your shop interface

You need to be vigilant about fraud of course.I thought the EU had stopped banks holding money for 90 days - it's in case of fraud because some frauds/chargebacks don't show up for months. The bank takes the money back off you of couse and you are also out the goods. I've only been caught once and that was when I was naive and - to be honest - a bit greedy for the sale and that blinded me to the obvious incongruity of the sale pattern which was all wrong.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Thanks for the advice on this one.
    I've Googled Worldpay & a few other merchant accounts to make sure I can find one that doesn't require an actual webshop (and the cheapest monthly payment
    I must admit; I've been caught more than once "trusting" customers that I've made sculptures for - Never again!! They pay the whole lot up front now. It's a shame, but it can't be helped. Everything is bespoke, so it's not like I can sell it onto anyone else! x

Lucie, I have a shop on my website using WP Ecommerce, which can take many forms of payment, but as I don't have a merchant account the only payment I can take is Paypal. I've not had anyone ask for a different payment method so far, but I'd be grateful if you'd let me know how you get on, as I'd like to be able to offer different payment methods.

Hi Lauren, I'll definitely let you know
    I contacted the card payment people who work with the Guild of Jewellery Designers. The monthly payment seems to be pretty standard (£20 plus the vat per month), but then they give guild members special rates on transactions:
    25p per debit card transaction (irregardless of the size of the payment you receive).
    1.5% per credit card transaction
    No set up and a 12 month contract.

I'm not quite in the position just yet, but hopefully very soon. This is definitely a problem for me as i'm forever getting people who want to pay over the phone.
    ps: The company is in fact worldpay / cardsave!

I've just lost my day job, so I really need to make it work with my jewellery now Think I should probably work up the courage to get some critique on my website to see where my other issues are. xx
    Last edited by Lucie; 20-08-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks Lucie. I don't even have a business account, so I'm not sure I'm eligible for one of the GoJD ones, and £20 a month is a bit more than I have to spend at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your job Much as I hate my day job, it does pay the rent until (hopefully) one day jewellery can pay a bit more of it!