Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copyright

Default copyright

hi

please can you advise me regarding copyright, I am looking to make my husband some cufflinks with the batman symbol on (some men never grow up!) as these are for a gift and not for sale would this be considered an infringement of the copyright for this design/logo?, thanks.

Hi Carrie. No I think you'd be fine making the cufflinks as long as you don't sell them.

Carole is both right and wrong. You might not be pursued for damages if you make a one off for your husband, but you are still offending against copyright law.

Look at myths here: http://www.ihaveawebsite-nowwhat.co....ts%20&%20Myths.

I have also tried to post a snip if the relevant paragraph below, and hope it is legible. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  

I don`t think one pair is going to hurt, especially since no-one will know about it..not even me in Finland

thanks for your replies, dennis thanks for the link to the copyright info

Copyright is the right to permit copies of your original work. Money doesn't come into it. So technically you would be infringing copyright.
    However, I don't think the might of DC comics or the film franchise or merchandising owners will come down on your husband's cuffs.
    That being said, did you see about Red Bull pursuing a micro brewery called Redwell....?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Bull-name.html
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Copyright is the right to permit copies of your original work. Money doesn't come into it. So technically you would be infringing copyright.
    However, I don't think the might of DC comics or the film franchise or merchandising owners will come down on your husband's cuffs.
    That being said, did you see about Red Bull pursuing a micro brewery called Redwell....?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Bull-name.html
    that is the silliest thing I have ever heard, everyone knows red bull for what it is, your not likely to get confused...puft..."shrugs"

As daft as a certain burger company going after a Scottish clan.

Send them a quick email of your intention, doesn't hurt & you'll probably not get a reply at all or then an all clear + the slight chance of interest which could spiral into a million $ ...make them anyway.:sly:

I wouldn't. Some corporate lawyers justify their jobs by pouncing on stuff like this. And if you send an email and there's no reply that actually would damage your cause - since you clearly knew you were infringing and went ahead without permission anyway
    To whom would you send the email in any case - who owns the symbol?
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk