Thread: How do you solder Sterling Silver and Gold Filled?

Question How do you solder Sterling Silver and Gold Filled?

Good afternoon all,
    i'm thinking of making Gold Filled and Sterling Silver twisted wire rings.
    Not sure how to solder them together though.
    Can i solder using Silver solder or would i need solder specially for Gold Filled metal?
    I'm very new to Jewellery-making so haven't got a clue really.
    Thanks!

Some people (especially in the US) seem to think you can solder gold filled, but I'm afraid I'm not one of them. You might as well just use brass, as that's all that's left once the outer layer of gold has gone up in flames!

Welcome to the forum btw

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Some people (especially in the US) seem to think you can solder gold filled, but I'm afraid I'm not one of them. You might as well just use brass, as that's all that's left once the outer layer of gold has gone up in flames!

Welcome to the forum btw
    Oh right. Lol!
    If i were to use Brass instead, i take it i'd be able to use Silver solder (?)
    Thank you for the welcome and for your prompt answer!

Yes, silver solder will be fine. Use as little as possible to keep the clean up as easy as possible! You might find it easier to experiment with copper first.

Gotcha.
    Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum.

I'm with George on this one. I have soldered gold-fill using 9ct gold solder but I'm not convinced there was too much gold left covering the brass once I'd finished. Definitely need a light touch and the easiest solder you can find so you don't have to overheat the item. I often make mixed metal bangle sets and now I just use silver, copper and brass for the different colour combinations.
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

Quote Originally Posted by kymbi View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm with George on this one. I have soldered gold-fill using 9ct gold solder but I'm not convinced there was too much gold left covering the brass once I'd finished. Definitely need a light touch and the easiest solder you can find so you don't have to overheat the item. I often make mixed metal bangle sets and now I just use silver, copper and brass for the different colour combinations.
    Ah, i see!
    So buying Gold Filled is basically a waste of money then....as i see it's a lot more expensive than Brass.
    Thanks for the advice.

I once tried to solder vermeil. That didn't work either (same with putting it in the polisher) Only once!
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Gold filled is fine for wirework and cold connected pieces - the gold is bonded rather than plated so wears much better. It's just not much use for anything that's going to require soldering or any other high temperature work.