Thread: Jazzing It Up.

Default Jazzing It Up.

For some this is the year of the snake, but for me it’s the year of recycling. Eleven years on, this pink tourmaline pendant was looking a bit sad so here it is re-made, building on the same theme: an outer oval with cross hatches.

The new version is made from two ovals, cut, bent and interwoven to create more detail. And just to jazz it up, I used my new coloured cable.

Then, while I was at it, I remade the accompanying studs as well. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn Necklace Old Version.jpg   tn Test piece For Pendant.jpg   tn Necklace New Version Detail.jpg   tn Necklace New Version.jpg   tn Ear Studs New version.jpg  

I liked the old one, but the new version is definitely a step up in design terms Love the earstuds - in particular that they're left and right, which is so often forgotten in earring fabrication.

I know I'm being dense, but I can't see the difference between the old and new. I do like the earrings though.

I'm glad you both liked the more 3D earrings. I didn't notice until too late that the stones look more opaque than they should and they really need photographing again.

Carole, the pendant is like one of those 'spot the difference' things:
    Difference one is that the oval has been built up more as tried out by my copper test piece.
    Difference two is that I used coloured cable.

This has given me the opportunity to post two extra pictures, showing the new necklace in full and the tired old earrings which I re-made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn Necklace New Version.jpg   tn Ear Studs Old Version.jpg  

Very nice, Dennis.

Can I ask what's with the green and red marker pen on the metal whilst it's being held together with the binding wire?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Very nice, Dennis. Can I ask what's with the green and red marker pen on the metal whilst it's being held together with the binding wire?
    Yes the red and the green are two separate items, which can be intertwined in various ways, rather like working on a wire puzzle. One turns to the right and one to the left.

The coloured test pieces allowed me to experiment and then, when I thought I had the best arrangement, made it easier to copy in silver. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Love what you have redone with them Dennis. How did you manage to get the stones out of the old setting?

Hi Wallace, I hope you have been enjoying some time off.

Obviously as I did not want the old setting, I could be quite destructive. So I cut along the solder joint below the bezel with a saw until there was enough loose bezel to lift up, nip through and peel back.

The best tool I know for being kind to a bezel is a scraper board nib and pen holder from an art shop. It is an arrow shaped blade, which can be gradually worked between stone and bezel, slowly slowly, until the stone is loose enough to be pulled out with very sticky tape such as tape for hanging pictures, or one called 'No More Nails'.

Regards Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

thank you Dennis. Something to try out next time I change a stone.

I do have some of that no more nails and some duct tape... sometimes pulling stones out can be hard, even with a good sticky bit of wax.

Ah, you noticed I have been a little quiet. I have been busy finishing the paid day job, but now have my P45 as redundancy is all sorted. Then with some great timing, I have undertaken a course at Whitney School of Jewellery (Guy says hello Lauren) and had a good influx of commissions. Posting on FB has been a quick option and a little remiss of me for not spending time here, which I love to do.