Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Gauge Sterling Silver Wire

Wow thank you for all the advice and suggestions - you have been very helpful! I am very interested mizgeorge in your suggestion of keeping it as a cylinder and making pendants. (I doubt I'm at a level I could forge anything yet !). Do you have any pictures of one you've done like this?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    In the Alan Revere book there are instructions for making a hollow collar.
    wow, not quite sure how I have missed his books! Time to start saving up again!

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    In the Alan Revere book there are instructions for making a hollow collar.
    Carole, I'm guessing you have the original book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional...5458930&sr=1-3

Going from the index of the new book here: http://www.brynmorgen.com/books/samp...lry-Making.pdf is it apparent what the new book has to offer and what the old one doesn't? I'm balking slightly at paying over £60 if I can get pretty much the same for less than £40 but would hate to feel I'm completely missing out.

Yes, it's the new book Liz.

ahh ok. I've been trying to find out what's in the old book to compare, before I plunge in and buy. I have bought huge numbers of books this year already.

I have made thumb rings with the bit I have, hammer and solder, looks really nice on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Tingle View Post
    Hello all,

I am very new into jewellery making so forgive me if I sound extremely green! I have for the past few months been purchasing tools and supplies and am now to the point now I have enough to get started on some projects!

I was going through my materials and found I have a 12 inch piece of round 5.00mm sterling silver wire, though I would describe it as more of a rod. I actually meant to order a much finer wire and got confused with the mm measurements.

My question is now that I have it, does anyone have suggestions on what I could create with this??

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I've used this sort of size (and a little bigger) for bangles, both torque and closed. It's also a great size for practising hinged bangles. It's also a nice gauge for drop pendants, either left as a cylinder (with some texture or even stamping) or forged to a graduation on one end, then flipped through 90 degrees and forged on the other end. You do need to anneal pretty regularly, but it's perfectly workable.
    Still haven't worked up the courage to use my heavy gauge silver wire - mizgeorge may I ask for what reason to flip the pendant 90 degrees before forging the other end? Is it so that when a hole is made in the top of the pendant the graduated bottom end will be laying flat against your body?
    I have a pretty long piece of this so I could have many chances to practice. Also considering trying some etching on the pendants.
    Last edited by Sandra; 15-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.

I often buy this size, not in such vast lengths though. I use it for all sorts of things, I make quite a few rings out of normal thickness wire, but if I want to flush set a stone I just cut a slice off and solder onto the ring so it gives me a bit more depth. I also cut slices off to make ear studs, if you cut off about 5mm ( quarter of an inch) and solder a post on it, they look nice and you can add all sorts of decorations to it, little balls in the middle, or solder on a loop and dangle wire with either beads or a piece of chain with a silver bead or something on, or leave as just plain studs, always in demand.

If you imagine about 4cm Sandra and half is gradually thinned to a wedge shape. Then turn it half way over(90degrees) and wedge the other half, you will have an interesting 3D object, rather than just a flattened one.

Think of it another way, It will look rather like a strip that has been twisted.

It would be a shame if you practiced on your silver first and ended up with scrap, so could you find some quarter inch round copper bar online which will be at a more throw away price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/copper-bar Dennis.

Dennis - I have copper bar on the way for practicing! I'll let you know how I get on.