Thread: Hello from a newbie

Smile Hello from a newbie

Hi all

I am new to the forum and am looking forward to joining in and getting some great advice and new knowledge!

I took my first class about 6 years ago and made a silver ring with cabachon stone! I was then hooked! Life has intervened though and all my jewellery making equipment had to be packed away but is now out and working again! I have a workbench a jewellers bench in my summerhouse along with our home office. It is a wooden building so care has to be taken! Does anyone else work in a wooden building?

I have taken some lessons over the years and have just completed a course with a brilliant local jeweller and will be doing more with her Oct-Dec. There is so much I would love to learn - it feels a bit like a kid in a sweet shop!

Penny

Welcome Penny, Keep in touch. Dennis.

Hi Penny and welcome. I work in a wooden studio too.

Hi Penny welcome from me too.

There must be every question and answer on here somewhere. Advice galore.
    I too have a wooden studio and I get that sweetie shop feeling everytime I go into it.
    JH

Many thanks for the welcomes, Dennis, Carol & Wren. I am so gad that others work in wooden buildings too - I was a little unsure. I am taking delivery of a bottle of oxygen soon - scary!

Yeah another from Devon, whereabouts are you then. I am in Exeter. Welcome by the way, nice to meet another from this part of the world. You should worry about working in a wooden building, I work in my spare bedroom, (with a very expensive carpet, put down throughout the house, before I started making silver stuff and before having two dogs!!!!!).

Quote Originally Posted by Pennyalbert View Post
    Many thanks for the welcomes, Dennis, Carol & Wren. I am so gad that others work in wooden buildings too - I was a little unsure. I am taking delivery of a bottle of oxygen soon - scary!
    Last edited by Patstone; 30-07-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Hi, welcome,

My atelier is also a wood cladded concrete constructed converted garage, its cool in summer and freezing in winter...

Les
    Poor old Les

Welcome! I work in something akin to a conservatory. Freezing in winter and like a sauna in summer. Its also small so if the gas blows I'm a gonner. I have faith in the flashback arrestor thingie though.

Welcome from me too!

I work in my spare bedroom which also doubles as an office!

Sonia
    x