Thread: Omg!

well done! keep it up.

Sonia
    x

Way to go, congratulations!

How do you lot survive on no profit :what:

Quote Originally Posted by Gemsetterchris View Post
    How do you lot survive on no profit :what:
    I have (for the moment) a student bursary and the rest is currently topped up by working tax credit. We are living on considerably less than we would be getting on the dole but luckily have a tiny mortgage and are enormously anti-social and not into consumerism. What happens when my studies are over... god knows. Back to lecturing maybe, or try and get a cleaning job (pays better than lecturing, no joke!) until I can really push my stuff forward.

I've come to the conclusion that knowledge industries suck and I'd much rather be working with my hands or doing something more meaningful like support work. Hideous waste of an expensive education, I know, but knowledge is so dumbed down now I don't much want to be a part of it. [/rant]

I should clarify, Chris, that anyone advertising and selling stuff has to be registered with the tax office. I'm sure there are others on here who work full or part time and make little or nor profit from jewellery which is, as in my case, at a hobby level. Some brave people (and I'm hoping to be one of them) make the jump and go full time with the jewellery. That's when it gets really scary, but hopefully exciting as well

There is also the consideration that - as with most larger organisations - there's an interest in keeping profit as low as possible so there's little or no tax bill as a result. This is legitimately done by offsetting tool expenses and the likes (and less legitimately by trying to claim that a luxury yacht is needed, for example).

I need a yacht! I could brand it "The Gentle Medusa" and sell my seaweedy wares in the french riviera!

I better get back to work....

There you go then; just convince HMRC it's a legit expense and you're away. Run courses on it, entertain clients and you're well on the way.
    Whether they consider it a proportionate expense for your sales level is another matter

This would possibly justify at my sales level

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ST...item3cd434379c

Coracles!
    No, it's true...