Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durston disc cutter

Default Durston disc cutter

Hi, not sure if this is the correct sub forum, but here goes.
    I have just bought the above which arrived yesterday, thanks.
    Whilst checking it over today I notice that the smallest (3mm) punch has an unusual ridged face.
    This seems wrong to me, and indeed all the other punches have a machined smooth face.
    Before I ask for a replacement, has anyone else here got one they could check for me please.
    As it is, it would destroy the disk it was meant to be punching out.
    Cookson or Durston if you're watching, is this faulty?
    Thanks
    Piccy attached, excuse the quality, it was iphone through microscope
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	4969

I don't know and as it is a relatively new product you might not find out here. But it could just be as intended, because they have found that the slight texturing improves the smallest punch.

I presume you have tied it in the relevant hole and it passes through alright, so why not test it with a thin bit of metal? Thin copper would do. If you are reluctant to do that then contact Durston Direct here:

http://www.durston.co.uk/lan-multi/drm-contact.php .You could have the answer in a jiffy. Dennis.

Thanks for the reply Dennis.

I wasn't going to try the punch as I was considering returning it unused.
    However I tried it last night and it does as expected, and imprints the unwanted ridged pattern on the metal.

I won't bother taking it further though as it still produces discs with one good(ish) face, and on a 3mm disc I am very unlikely to require two 'best' faces.
    I also tried my cheapo ebay disc cutter in 3mm and it punches a lovely disc so I will probably continue to use that.
    I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in the product though, the first thing I will do is drill a hole in the lovely caddy / holder for the allen key which floats around loose yet is fairly essential for the correct use of the tool.

I didn't contact Durston directly as I have previously bought a ring stretcher reducer (as a result of your explanation of how you work actually), which turned out to be the new stretcher reducer bender, and had sustained minor damage in transit, requiring replacement thumbscrews which hold the bending dies in place. When I contacted Durston about this, the girl who answered the phone, lovely as she was, didn't have a clue about the screws and referred me to Matthew Durston, who to be fair was helpful and I did get the replacement screws, but it took over a month. He is obviously a busy chap and I felt a bit guilty hassling him over a relatively trivial matter which I would have thought could have been dealt with by just about anyone in the company. They are not really geared up for dealing with the end user.

Interestingly (or not), I hadn't realised the item cookson were selling was the new product with the bending facility as the photo on the cookson website was, and still is, wrong, despite them telling me they would change it. It does not come with the dies for bending and these have to be purchased separately at extra cost. Because I had problems with the delivery damage, Matthew did me a favourable deal on the dies.

The reason I posted in the customer service sub forum is because I'd hoped for some input from cookson customer service, but perhaps there isn't any?

I wish I'd spent the 200 odd quid on silver now, that's a few pairs of earrings :-).

Cheers

Dear TU,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It never ceases to amaze me how poorly jewelers are served by their suppliers. You are obviously more tolerant than I am, and this is what they rely on, to continue in business without really trying.

At least you are now the proud possessor of a ring bending attachment, one which I haven't tried. It strikes me that to preserve the outer surface of a ring you would still be better off if possible, inserting a thin leather strap when you use it.

As for the planisher at the bottom, there are a few tricks you can do with it which I can describe if you wish. Regards, Dennis.

Cheers Dennis, I'd always be interested to hear your tricks.

I have now heard privately from cookson who have said I need to contact Durston directly, which I have just done, and in hindsight is what I should have done originally. I was just a bit fed up with the purchase, and also thought as you did that as the ridging looks so 'engineered', it may be deliberate, I wondered if anyone else here had one to compare.

You are absolutely correct in saying that the bender marks the metal, I'll definitely try the strip of leather approach!!

Thanks again,

Martyn.

Not terribly much help, but I have the Swanstrom version, on which I think the Durston is based, and even the smallest punch has perfectly smooth faces. I have to say I much prefer the handle mechanism on the Swanstrom to the need for a key, which I would inevitably lose!

I do, however, agree that it's far too expensive a piece of kit for it to be acceptable to have faults to even the slightest degree.

Thanks mizgeorge - the info about the swanstrom small punch is useful.
    I did look at buying from riogrande or ottofrei or somewhere like that but I reckoned that with carriage, import duty, vat and any 'handling charges' it would be quit a bit more expensive to import a swanstrom or pepe or similar, may have been worth it though!!

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    Cheers Dennis, I'd always be interested to hear your tricks.Martyn.
    There are two tricks I learned on a course at Holts, which I use to this day. I'll post them on Monday morning when I have made a test piece and taken some pix. Dennis.

Sorry for our delayed responce to this forum thread - and our appologies to 'Trial User' for the quality of the punch supplied with the Durston disc cutter.
    A replacement part is on its way to trial user for the Durston Disc Cutter.

A updated photo of Dustons Ring stetcher will go live shortly.

Regards

Adam Hunter

Thank you Adam, and also thank you Amy for the lovely answer phone message.
    I'm in Edinburgh 'till the weekend so hopefully I'll have a new punch when I get home.
    Many thanks again, Cookson and everyone who replied.
    Martyn