Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durston disc cutter

Hi Adam,
    You mention that an updated photo of the Durston ring stretcher is soon to be added..........I bought one recently (when you had the offer on them) and the one I received looks a little different to the one on the Cookies website, which seemed odd, but I assumed that's why they were being sold off, until last week, when a colleague came around and asked me where the missing bit was??!!.............then it made sense, since I couldn't work out how the 'roller' bit worked............it has nothing to compress again.........could you help please??
    Many thanks,
    Jill

Jill, hi, not Adam but trialuser.
    I too bought the tool while it was on offer.
    It sounds as if you also received the stretcher / reducer / bender.
    These don't come with the bending dies - you have to buy them separately.
    This picture is the one I have and it shows it minus the dies.

And an update to my disc cutter saga - Cookson true to their word sent me a replacement 3mm punch as they said they had checked and the one I had was faulty.
    Unfortunately it is EXACTLY the same as the original one, so, either they were misinformed and it is supposed to be like that, or the whole batch is probably sh1te!
    We will never know as durston didn't bother to reply to my email, despite me sending it to both the general email address and to Matthew Durston. Oh well :-(
    I have bought a durston rolling mill, ring stretcher / bender / reducer, dapping set and disc cutter in the last year, I know what make I won't be buying in future.

Oh, and another thing, they claim the stretcher has an eight splined mandrel, well, it don't!
    I can count to 8 and I run out of splines at 6.
    Not the end of the world but nevertheless a false statement.
    Pee'ed off, who me? All I wanted was a correctly manufactured punch, or simple conformation that the one I have is correct.

Hi Trialuser,

That's exactly the ring stretcher I have, when it was sold it didn't say that it was incomplete or that dies needed to be bought separately. The description on the site is as follows:

High precision Ring stretcher.(Reducer/Bender). Also includes die set for ring bender. High precision ring stretcher / reducer featuring an 8 Spline mandrel and 16 polished countersunk dies... Read the full product description...

The ring bender is quite useless without the dies!! It seems odd to sell an incomplete device?? (The dies aren't available to purchase separately either!).

I've just been and counted my splines!!!!.........mine too only has 6 splines. Becoming more disgruntled!!

Think I'll send Adam an email.......

Tabby x
    Last edited by Tabby66; 05-08-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Tabby66 & Trial User

Really sorry for the issues with the Ring Stretcher, we are looking at this issue now and we'll be in touch shortly.

Regards

Adam Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ahunter View Post
    Tabby66 & Trial User

Really sorry for the issues with the Ring Stretcher, we are looking at this issue now and we'll be in touch shortly.

Regards

Adam Hunter
    Please would you look into the issue with the disc cutter also. Thanks.