Thread: Hello from Herefordshire!

Default Hello from Herefordshire!

Hello ☺

I thought it was time to introduce myself. I enrolled on a silversmithing evening class a little over a year ago and soon found myself hooked and signing up for more. I really enjoy developing my very basic skills and have learnt an enormous amount from this forum; I am in awe of the knowledge and talent here.

I went to Art in Action at Waterperry last week and had a great day admiring the different creative approaches and work displayed.

I am keen to set up a working area at home and have the opportunity to explore different processes, make mistakes and develop further. I have acquired a small range of tools, although it always seems there is “just one more” needed! I enjoy raising, planishing and chasing/repousse.

I am grappling with the challenge of a suitable workbench and soldering area. My home has very low beamed ceilings and sensitive smoke detectors! I think the most likely spot is a north-east facing utility room which has a higher ceiling and a small space facing a window. It is also closest to my only neighbours. Any tips on setting up a small workbench and minimising noise impact would be welcome!

Hi Ada and welcome to the forum!
    The "just one more" doesn't ever end I'm afraid - well it hasn't for me anyway!!

Hi Ada and welcome. If you search for threads about jewellery benches, there should be loads of advice on here.

The Forum seized up while posting this, so I snipped what I wrote as below. Hope you can still read it:

Well, after an interval I've come back to post my message again:

If you only have a small work area, forget all about a workbench with a bit cut out, because you will be wasting valuable work-top space. Instead find a sturdy table and if necessary brace the legs for stability. Some people even use a butchers' block type trolley from IKEA. Then use a clamp-on bench peg and possibly a drawer to catch filings and dropped items. You might also need a torch to search the floor for lost gem stones.

For a soldering hearth a roasting tin with the front cut don will do, but don't have curtains near it.

If noise reduction is required, then hammer on a folded blanket, or a sand-bag, or both.

You will also need ventilation, but you are unlikely to produce enough pollution to affect you neighbours.

Welcome to the Forum. Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg   Workbench and Drawer.jpg   Workbench Drawer Removed.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 24-07-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Thank you for the welcome messages and for the suggestions Carole & Dennis.

I have previously read through some of the threads on workbenches and have been scouring auctions etc for a desk/table, although I now think these would be too big. I wondered if the Ikea trolley would be the way to go, or whether people used it more for storage. In fact, one of the jewellers at Art in Action was using one, so I had a chat with her about it She was uncertain about hammering on it or whether having nowhere for your legs would be uncomfortable as a permanent working set up. It may well get me off the starting block and I think a trip to Ikea will follow shortly!

Dennis, I can see where you are coming from with dispensing with the cut-out and liked your solution for a drawer.

Many thanks for the tips and workarounds....

Hi Ada
    welcome from me too.

I have the ikea trolley and use it to hammer on with no problems - I also have my rolling mill clamped to it. My work table is an old desk with extra sheets of MDF on it for stability. I got my very talented father-in-law to make me an extra supported shelf that has the cut out in and my bench pegs etc at the right height for me.

I also use a piece of large chamois to catch bits while I am working that is attached to the desk to hide the clutter underneath too!.

Sonia
    x

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1030843 (2).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	4979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1030842 (2).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	4980

hey... I am Rashi new member of this site. I am a jewellery designer work on handmade jewellery.

Thanks Sonia

It's really helpful to see the photo of how you use your Ikea trolley, and your workbench looks like you are making the most of the space. Ikea here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by rashi View Post
    hey... I am Rashi new member of this site. I am a jewellery designer work on handmade jewellery.
    Hi Rashi,

What kind of stuff do you do?

Tinned pork products at a guess.