Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grs third hand soldering station

Default Grs third hand soldering station

H,
    Would any one know where I could purchase a grs third hand solder station in the uk, i can only find suppliers in America, if any one has any grs equipment for sale I would be interested.

Thank you,

John

Sutton tools sell it.

I have to confess to not being hugely impressed with mine.

I'm the opposite (contrary, of course ) - I've just bought a second one. Then promptly swapped out the tips & the board, which gives me spares for the lower temperature one. Seemed to make more sense than messing around with swapping tips back & forth; I'm not entirely impressed that the GRS high-temp board doesn't clamp in though, but I think I can solve that with longer screws.

Oh wow - these look amazing! *adds to list of things currently coveted*

link? I could only find those regular third hand stands. Am I looking in the wrong place?

http://www.suttontools.co.uk/double-...g-station.html (in the UK)

I think I don't particuarly like mine because of the clunkiness of the third hands, which are just not fine enough for most of the things I do. I end up just using a regular one. Nine times out of ten, I also end up plonking a charcoal block on top of the board as well because I need more heat and less oxygen!

You can file the steel tips finer or make your own (they also hold cross-locking tweezers quite well). I also tend to put an older solder block on top - a vanity to extend the life of the GRS board...!
    Charcoal isn't good with platinum, so that's staying away from the high-temp board.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
    H,
    Would any one know where I could purchase a grs third hand solder station in the uk, i can only find suppliers in America, if any one has any grs equipment for sale I would be interested.

Thank you,

John
    John, may I ask what particular soldering jobs you need this third hand soldering clamp system for? if you are trying to hold small pieces together while soldering, have you considered using home made stainless steel soldering clamps? I have posted this photo of the clamps I make and use many times, but if you have missed it in the past here is a re posting.
    James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	213 Stainless clamp sheet.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	4963