Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grs third hand soldering station

I would agree for most things James, but for those who solder lots of jump rings into chains for instance, they might prefer posh third hand, as explained here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkCT6QdIf6c.

I have never bothered, because I only make short adjustment chains for necklaces and I like to keep it quick and simple. Dennis.

[QUOTE=Dennis;57830]I would agree for most things James, but for those who solder lots of jump rings into chains for instance, they might prefer posh third hand, as explained here:

Hi Dennis, some of the items of regalia I have made in my past were Parliamentary Doorkeepers regalia, although the crest badge was a casting, it was worn on a long handmade chain of 96 oval links made from 2mm. thick silver wire and when finished was about 48 inches long. The method of soldering the jump rings was as follows, first I would solder 48 single rings. Then I would solder the 48 soldered single rings into lengths of 3 rings. Then I would solder these lengths of 3 rings into lengths of 7 rings, and so on doubling the length of the chain pieces each time of soldering a single jumpring. I did this method using the T shaped steel clamps as they are self supporting on the solder block, in those days we altered steel cotter pins to make our solder clamps, but over the years I started using the stainless steel clamps as they didn't rust over time.

James

Yes, I do prefer your sort of clip, because cotter pins tend to mark the work. The video by Soham Harrison, (my link above) does show the chain being made with groups of jump-rings, but he uses the double-clip third hand to hold them upright and also to rest and steady his hand.

Another way to skin the rabbit, but I always find it interesting to see professionals at work. Now a video from you would be a winner. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    http://www.suttontools.co.uk/double-...g-station.html (in the UK)

I think I don't particuarly like mine because of the clunkiness of the third hands, which are just not fine enough for most of the things I do. I end up just using a regular one. Nine times out of ten, I also end up plonking a charcoal block on top of the board as well because I need more heat and less oxygen!
    cheers George. I wonder why it's not in with the other third hands?

Hi James,
    Apologies for taking so long to reply since finishing work I seem to have even less time than ever, I managed to make a couple of your clamps last night, only took a few minutes, i can see endless possibilities for these indispensable little gems,no doubt a life time of experience has gone into refining the detail.
    My main interest in the GRS double third hand as Dennis righty pointed out was to solder chain cleanly and easily,I did however try your method last night (with my new clamps) with great success and have put the GRS on the back burner.

Thank you James just proves once again there is no substitute for skill and experience

To all who took the time to read/reply thank.

John

Hi John,
    Good luck with the clamps.
    I have refined a few of my clamps for specific jobs, this one I have found really useful for holding small items in place when soldering and I have also filed finer points which makes holding small chain links easier.

James

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12 Example of use for T shaped clamp.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	4970
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 25-07-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Hi James
    Have just completed the full set of your clamps, the more I see of them the more I understand their vast potential.

Thank you

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
    Hi James
    Have just completed the full set of your clamps, the more I see of them the more I understand their vast potential.

Thank you

John
    It's nice to know some of my advice has been useful John. Have you seen any of my work? if not I have an album on my profile page, or you can just Google /Images my full name of "James Miller FIPG" and there are links to other albums on various forums.

Good luck with the clamps!

James

Hi James
    Looked up your album, nice, can see why your called goldsmith should be No1 goldsmith, would think there are very very few people who can work to that standard today, and very unlikely your standards will ever be equalled in the future, when you look at the tooling available to your generation (compared to todays ever expanding range) you honestly can say hand made was hand made.
    I think you could be called the last true goldsmith, a book of your techniques to pass on your lifetimes knowledge and experience would be nice and I am sure would go straight to No 1in the jewellery fraternity.

I have just made my 2nd ring using your clamps when I think how I struggled/juggled and balanced and now a simple clamp not only ensures greater accuracy and control but speeds up the process dramatically (by eliminating elementary mistakes), I can't wait to try the others.

Thank you

John