Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pricing Spreadsheet from etsy

well for those that don't have the complete niche market then yeah, the labour costs are minimal. I do happen to be niche and even so I used to charge a tiny amount for labour. I set my prices on what the few others charge and as I've got better, so my hourly labour rate has increased. I'm not sure if I'll ever make enough from my niche sales to live off, but so far, I think it will be achievable when i can commit the time as long as i don't expect to ever go on holiday or buy new clothes

You are right Chris, a lot of it is who you know. I bet there arent many people who come up from the hobbyist stage that werent fortunate enough to do an apprenticeship with one of the top jewellers who make it big, and as they keep on banging on, "you have to know your market". Years ago we bought a few tools from a girl that used to sell her rings in a London market, not sure which one, but she was selling a plain silver band with perhaps a pierced square in it for £50 plus, and she asked us if we would try and sell what she had left. We put them on our table at craft fairs which is open to the three "P"'s,, Pick up, Put down, and Piss off. They are too expensive to sell down in this part of the world, even though they are very well finished and different designs. If the price was halved they may sell, but she is expecting us to sell at her price. We have put them out on our table for two years and not sold any.

I would put those rings in a position on your table where they are alone but prominently displayed as if they are somehow "special"..suprising how the human brain perceives something as a unique must have item when It's an otherwise ignored piece.
    Excuse the earlier double post, it was my beer evening :beer: