Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pricing Spreadsheet from etsy

Quote Originally Posted by medusa View Post
    Because they are all predicated on an hourly labour charge. Which means that if you are like me (or were like me, I'm better and faster now ) then your hourly rate is going to be in the pence per hour and not £ per hour. So basically if everything takes 20 times longer because of lack of experience, then the reality is that you are selling for the cost of materials plus a bit extra.
    Ah, I see.

If a piece should take 1 hour, but you spend 3 on it, that's 1 hour at full rate and 2 training (for which you can't really charge... Well, as a general rule.)

I really need to try this out and actually write down the time I spend on each piece.

I still just pluck a figure out of the air!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    I really need to try this out and actually write down the time I spend on each piece.

I still just pluck a figure out of the air!
    I've just started doing this, I was pleasantly surprised how quick some things are and shocked at how slow others are. Can you charge less for an hour if it was polishing in front of the tv?

Hi Kathryn,

Did you have any luck pricing your jewellery in the end? I was looking to reduce my retail prices and unfortunately, according to the spreadsheet, I should be charging even more

I bought the spreadsheet recently to see if it would help me, because like Lauren I still pluck figures out of the air and thought it may be a bit more em "structured", but when I worked it out it was ridiculously high. Most of my sales are through local craft fairs, (as I am only a hobby jeweller) and the organisers have told me that people in the past wont pay the prices of the silver jewellery on the stands and they have stopped letting them have stalls for that reason, and several have asked me for my webpage before saying yes or no. There are a lot of beaders on stalls though, cheaper products I suppose. Like I keep on saying you have to price according to what your customers can afford. Holidaymakers come down and snap up jewellery whatever the price, but come November, they will be gone and its left to the locals to support us, and as the locals come throughout the summer too, you cant expect to put up the prices just for the grockles. We normally sell plain band silver rings 5mm wide x 1mm thick for around £15 ( took probably 15 minutes to make and another 30 to polish, silver cost about £5), hence £15 finished price. Mor complicated and time consuming things cost a lot more, my daughter has just finished making a bracelet with fish on as a lady wanted to give it to her niece for a 18th birthday as she is the last of the line with the surname of fish, its beautiful and she is charging £120 for it.
    Last edited by Patstone; 23-08-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    ....We normally sell plain band silver rings 5mm wide x 1mm thick for around £15 ( took probably 15 minutes to make and another 30 to polish, silver cost about £5), hence £15 finished price. .....
    Fliping eck!
    I am not an expert, far from it, but I reckon you could easily double you hourly 'pay' rate just by adapting your polishing workflow.

Whoa Everyone works at different speed due to experience, you can't charge for lack of speed.
    Sometimes you don't charge extra on materials, just the Labour or profit margin...All the fancy "logisticall" mathematics only works on a mass basis.
    Your going to sell at "your" price for "your" work, if you can't then tough.
    Sometimes you need to be a millionaire before you can have fun making jewellery otherwise It's a big big struggle with a lot of wannabes..truth hurts don't it

Whoa Everyone works at different speed due to experience, you can't charge for lack of speed.
    Sometimes you don't charge extra on materials, just the Labour or profit margin...All the fancy "logisticall" mathematics only works on a mass basis.
    Your going to sell at "your" price for "your" work, if you can't then tough.
    Sometimes you need to be a millionaire before you can have fun making jewellery otherwise It's a big big struggle with a lot of wannabes..truth hurts don't it

I think the gist of the thread is that most of us aren't even charging for our painfully slow labour.

The more I ponder it, the more I think charging on a like for like basis is the way to go. The biggest problem then if you are producing really niche stuff that no one else is making.

I would say, to coverup any "time issues" , you need to be "unique" enough to disguise this.
    I can't see any other way unless you can do a perfect job which puts similar work in the shade.
    Making a piece of jewellery to sell is a piece of cake, that's why there are millions doing it but getting nowhere.
    The painful bit is, the stuff that does get somewhere is no better than yours & It's just not fair is it
    Thing is, It's who you know, plus no financial problems to worry about that works best.
    You can do it though
    Just sayin, be unique & wantable.
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 23-08-2013 at 06:45 PM.