Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A tiny teacup - work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    OMG Lauren, where will you find the tiny tea bags? ;-)
    Heehee!!

Lovely work! Love the the look of the wax carving, how do you do go about casting them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    OMG Lauren, where will you find the tiny tea bags? ;-)
    Hahaha! I am actually going to set a stone in the top of the teacups to look like tea. Closest I can think of is smoky quartz, but that's more coffee coloured.

Any ideas for nice tea-coloured faceted gemstones?

Dennis, your tea bag comment has made me think about maybe some tiny scattered brown cz stones set into resin at the bottom of the cup - sparkly tea leaves!

Quote Originally Posted by JonLendrum View Post
    Lovely work! Love the the look of the wax carving, how do you do go about casting them?
    I just give them to my caster! Don't have the space for casting equipment in my tiny workshop.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Hahaha! I am actually going to set a stone in the top of the teacups to look like tea. Closest I can think of is smoky quartz, but that's more coffee coloured.

Dennis, your tea bag comment has made me think about maybe some tiny scattered brown cz stones set into resin at the bottom of the cup - sparkly tea leaves!
    Hi Lauren,

Such a delight to see your carving and then the casting.

Given today's experiments with infusions and herbal teas giving a variety of colours, many stones could be used. however, citrine springs to mind for a nice golden before the milk look. Or, a dark amethyst for that liquorice or black currant tea. Maybe even a peridot for some mint tea?
    Last edited by Wallace; 21-07-2013 at 10:16 PM.

[QUOTE=ShinyLauren;57767]Hahaha! I am actually going to set a stone in the top of the teacups to look like tea. Closest I can think of is smoky quartz, but that's more coffee coloured.

Check out Carnelians, if you did want the tea to look authentic then you could set a round Carnelian cab upside down in the cup, they are usually polished on the flat side and they come in various brown tea colours. There are loads offered on eBaycheck them out!

James

Some good gemstone ideas - thanks!

James - I'm after something sparkly rather than authentic, but I'll have a look at the carnelian too for a different look.

Popped into Wards yesterday and they suggested champagne CZs, but he couldn't find the 6mm ones so I've stuck with the smokey quartz for now.

Discovered I was way too cautious about burring out wax for the setting and am now left with a ton of metal to get rid of on each casting before I can set the stones. Doh! At least I'll know for next time...

Hi Lauren,
    Looking forward to seeing which stones your choose for your cup and saucer. I love your sparkly fish and the finish is superb. My comment earlier was made in a moment of heat induced madness!
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    Thanks guys!

3D stuff is really difficult for me - I just sit and stare at the wax block for ages trying to work out how to even begin.

This one I wasn't sure what I was doing about the handle, so I just left that bit as solid wax, had it cast into silver and then pierced/filed the handle directly on the silver master.

It's now been moulded and cast and I have a tiny herd of teacups and saucers.

Attachment 4954
    Very sweet!