Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I Have Learned About Filigree.

Just watched the video Dennis, one thing that I am envious about is his tweezers, I have looked for some like that for ages, I need something a bit more robust than the ones that cookies sell. Dont know where to get them, I have looked in medical websites, dentistry websites, even foundry websites but to no avail. Does anyone know where I can get some like it please.

Made my own for this project, Pat (the brass one). You can't heat brass, or it becomes horribly soft, so I cut it from 0.9mm sheet, doubled it over and squeezed it hard in a vice. Then I secured it with a nut and bolt and opened it by inserting a knife.

Being short and broad, it gave a little more pressure to the filigree whorls. Dennis.

Sorry, forgot the picture and you can't edit it in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Home Made Brass Tweezers For Filigree.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tweezers.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	4957

This is the ones I was talking about. Any ideas please.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Not a lover of filigree, but very fond of your work Dennis and this piece included. Thank you for continuing to share your amazing creations and how you made them too.

Just watched the videos. Amazing work. The first one seems to do everything with a wooden stump. What sort of wood do you think he uses?

I wish I could come to your classes Dennis, you seem to do something completely different every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Not a lover of filigree, but very fond of your work Dennis and this piece included. Thank you for continuing to share your amazing creations and how you made them too.
    Thank you Wallace, It's my other hobby, so I'm more than pleased if anyone enjoys reading it. As for filigree, don't worry, its just a phase and I'm more of a bus than a tram.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    Just watched the videos. Amazing work. The first one seems to do everything with a wooden stump. What sort of wood do you think he uses?I wish I could come to your classes Dennis, you seem to do something completely different every week.
    Don't know about the wood, but I think it would get you an ASBO if you used it indoors.

I have been going to that weekly class at Morley College for nineteen years and the teachers, first Barbara Christie and then Helen Smith, have been very dynamic. The short summer courses are very varied too and there is a strong connection with Central St Martins. It's more of a club really but sooner or later they will want me to graduate.

It's been awfully hot in London. I hope you are all keeping cool. Dennis.

Am I being thick or is that you in the videos Dennis. If it is you the tweezers arent brass but some sort of steel by the looks of it. They look a bit like dividers, that sort of chunkyness.