Thread: How to make this PMC tube?

Default How to make this PMC tube?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to make the pmc tube thats in this video? The position in the video Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PMC tube.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	4932at 1:41 is when they show the tube that has been cut in half and used as a bail. I've googled and can't find how to make a PMC tube so my last resort is here where I seem to always get my answer when google fails me

I've also added a pic of the video and circled teh tube in the corner of the image.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I don't use metal clay, but when I was using pottery clay, would often use other forms. here a small strip of clay can be formed over some kind of mandrel. A flat, rectangular piece would work to make a half circle. Try it out in paper form first. I would suggest an old round biro or even a small straw as a mandrel.

You can make each end of the half circle flat after it has dried by sanding it smooth.
    Last edited by Wallace; 15-07-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: end of sentence wording

As you only need half a tube for your bail, you could just cut a strip and leave it to dry over a suitable rod. I do like that pendant BTW.

I have never used metal clay but I wondered if you could possibly make it around a wax core then melt the wax away when you fire it to produce a tube as I said I dont know if this would work or just make a big mess was just intrested if anyone knew !

I haven't tried it but this would seem to be another way http://creativetexturetools.com/news...ube-extruders/
    Lorraine

thanks for all your suggestions, I think I'll try the strip idea first and go down the list

I don't do clay, but I had an idea that you could add sterling to it before firing. In any case you can certainly sweat solder on a section of tube or a jump ring afterwards. Dennis.

couldn't you form it by pressing and then rolling the pmc inside a half tube shape? or maybe use a paper lolly stick and let it burn off when you fire it?