Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendant Motor Reviews

Default Pendant Motor Reviews

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to replace my tired old dremel, as it's finally getting a bit too dangerous to use (it has a nasty habit of firing drill bits at me when used at high speeds & i'm slightly worried I might lose an eye)!

I've looked around at the different brands, but can't seem to find any reviews or comparisons.

I'm mostly using it for polishing and drilling and didn't want something that was going to be big & bulky to hold.

Does anyone have a favorite or one they would highly recommend?

Thanks in advance. x

I love my Milbro with a quick change hand piece but others favour the Foredom. I've got both and prefer the Milbro.

Thanks very much for this Carole. Is that the Milbro Pendant Drill With Slip Joint Fitting?

When itīs only for drilling and polishing you might consider this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-000-RPM-D...item19ca0b73cd
    I bought myself this type and I like the quality very much for that price.
    If you you have in mind to do stone setting with it in the future it is not a pleasant tool because it starts a bit abrubt for that.
    If I compare this to what I get from my local reseller this one (the N7) will cost me about 350 euro
    https://webshop.bijoumoderne.nl/Webs...tcode=01&cpl=1
    They say it will be shipped from China but mine whas shipped from the UK, note you have to let them know how many volts you need 110 or 220.
    Last edited by willem parel; 14-07-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: more info

Wow, that's a huge difference in price!! Do you know is it's compatable with all the standard "dremel type" accessories (sanding drums, drill bits, etc)?

Micro-motors are great, but maybe Willem can comment on this:

Most less expensive micro motors will only take one size of shank, 2.35mm. This is the common size for jeweller's tools, but too small for Dremel accessories.

Another problem with cheaper micro-motors is that they lack torque. This means they slow down whenever you press on them, or use a tool with a large head.
    If you find this out after purchase, you have wasted an awful lot of money. As a rule of thumb a decent micro-motor will cost at least Ģ450 in the UK.

If you are not sure, take Carole's recommendation, or find reviews of the Foredom. Dennis.

This one can only take bits of 2.35 mm. like Dennis said, the common size.
    It hold his power and speed reasonably, also with the larger grinding tools but yes, you can make him stop with to much pressure on the handpiece.
    I have to admitt, itīs not my only tool I use for this kind of work, I also use a lot my Techdent flex shaft.
    Last edited by willem parel; 14-07-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Thanks very much for the advice Dennis & Willem. The micro motors sound ideal but I'll have to make sure their compatible with my mini drum sanders. My only concern is that I know I'm really heavy on my tools - it'd have to be up to a lot of grinding / polishing

I did have a Dremel but 2 years ago I bought the foredom with quick change, much more speed control when drilling I use it for polishing and setting (drilling). I would never go back to a Dremel, I have heard a micromotor are better but as stated unless your prepared to spend Ģ500 plus you won't get a decent one, iv been told to stay away from the Chinese versions. I have also got a grs gravermach at and you can get a rotary hand piece for this but again very expensive and have been told not as good as a micromotor. This is what i have its brill http://www.suttontools.co.uk/power-t...plete-kit.html

Thanks Mike. This is the one I was originally looking at (before finding the other brands & getting confused). Have to agree with you about Dremel. They really seem to have gone downhill. I have friends with archaic ones. Mine is only a few years old but has become pretty dangerous to use!