Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pendant Motor Reviews

Peter, just out of curiosity who do you use for your precious stones supplier? I use a.e ward for everything except diamond and find them very convenient, just lift up the phone tell them what you need and 9 times out of 10 they have it, prices seem good, used to use Manchester minerals (Hilton bros) but found the quality and the fact you had to look up the order codes a hassle. Just asking as always looking for good cheap suppliers. We use Henig for diamonds.

Wards for most of it, Marcia Lanyon occasionally (usually browsing at one of their visits), R M Weare for the bits of carbon (well, the mined ones anyway - lab grown is another source, not quite up & running fully yet). Henig look worthwhile, I might have a chat with them.
    Manchester Minerals I only really use for cabs and not that often at that.

Default A newbie searching for some guidence on this very topic...

Hi everyone,

I am a complete newbie to this site (and with only a small amount of silver jewellery experience under my belt) and so I have been searching the forum for some guidance on pendant motors. This and other threads have been very useful but still I have not come to a firm conclusion.

I am looking to invest in a good pendant motor that wont burn out quickly, gives me a professional finish and that I wont outgrow too quickly (I will use it for drilling, polishing...all the normal stuff but I also plan to start gem setting in the not too distant future). That said, I am still a beginner and so top of the range all singing all dancing might be an expensive overspend that is not necessary for me (I saw some reference to micro motors but they seem a fair bit more expensive and the question is, would I ever need something like that? I don't have a clue!).

I also phoned up Cooksons as well as Suttons tools to get their thoughts and recommendations....one recommended the Milbro Pendant Drill With Slip Joint Fitting, 18,000 Rpm, Plastic Foot Control & Hanger and the other one recommended the Foredom SR with slip joint 1/6 horsepower.

It's a big decision, so how I would really appreciate your pearls of wisdom to help me understand which two might be the right one for me (or if in fact there is another I should consider)?

What would you say are the pro's vs. con's for either make/model?

Is one easier to use than the other, better accessories, more reliable, better overall life-span?

Any advice you can share is gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Eve

Hi Eve,

If you're going to be giving the motor heavy usage, I would go for a milibro, when my foredom gives up, that is what I shall change it for. Not I hasten to add that I have any complaints about my foredom, I have had it for about 5 years, having started this as a hobby a couple of years before. It is more that my usage on a day to day basis has increased significantly and I think that milibro along with a couple of other makes will be more suitable to my long term needs.

In terms of accessories, you cannot beat foredom........they have everything!!!!

Do say if you invest in a foredom, if you are thinking of purchasing any accessories, I may have some available,......

Best wishes,
    Tabby xx

I just purchased a Fordem SR pendant drill from Sutton tools, and I think it's fantastic. More than enough for my needs and the range of accessories like has been said is excellent too.

I haven't got a vast amount of experience myself, however my skill level is developing on a monthly basis so that's why I upgraded. Prior to this purchase I was using a Dremel with a flex shaft attachment, but there was obviously no foot control, or enough torque available.

As far as I could tell and excluding micromotors, the only other alternatives were the Millbro as mentioned previously or the Dremel Fortiflex which is the cheapest out of all three I believe?

Nick

I have a Foredom (also from Suttons), so has my daughter. Very good machines, but I make jewellery for a hobby, so it doesn't have a lot of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick martin View Post
    I just purchased a Fordom. As far as I could tell and excluding micromotors, the only other alternatives were the Millbro as mentioned previously or the Dremel Fortiflex which is the cheapest out of all three I believe?Nick
    Tasha of Truffle and Podge just bought a Seco.

I really must get one of these, and soon. I need more oomph than my dremel, and the safety thing is really a worry for me (the lack of foot control).

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Tasha of Truffle and Podge just bought a Seco.
    Yup i did need to have a proper play when i get my bench back up later after taking the tree down but walshes set it up for me in the showrrom so i could test it out. I must admit i prefered it to the foredom i tried in suttons, the pedal had a nice bite, if you know what i mean by this, i studied fashion so as i am used to using a sewing machine a lot this was an important part for me it gives you control, it's a bit like using an industrial sewing machine, some zip away from you untill you learn the right control and some just respond like a dream. I also tried the top of the range milbro at walshes, way way out of my price range and that felt incredible you could definateley feel the quality. Walshes have discontinued the seco which is why i got such a good deal but they will continue to stock spares etc. I had the last one from brum but a trip to hatton garden might be a good idea, i felt good buying from them, they were very very helpful and seemed to take customer satisfaction seriously unlike a certain company that has recently become just a web presence. Have to say i was very cheeky, told them what my budget was, what i needed, that i had killed my flexishaft and it was my birthday and i was stuck till i got a motor. Came away with my seco and a personal contact for any problems or future add ons, a huge bucket of safety pickle, a load of mop heads and a bar of super lustre luxi (which is ace!) these bits were all free Glad i took the advice to make the trip to the showrooms
    Tasha
    X
    www.truffleandpodge.co.uk

LOVE LIKE YOU WANT TO BE LOVED

Great advice guys thank you!

I think that because i am still just doing it as a hobby, the extra expense of the Milbro isn't really justified in my case.

The Foredom SR does sound like a good choice so that is really encouraging to hear.

First time I have heard about the Seco. I might need to look into that one! Like you did Tasha, it might be worth me seeing if I can test them out to get a feel for which one works for me.

I can get to Walshes in London to check the Seco. Does anyone know a stockist in London might have the Foredom SR that I could try out?

Eve