Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pendant Motor Reviews

I have the same one Mike, and I find it serves all my jewellery making needs, the only thing I found with the quick release handpiece was that if the drill was trying to go through something a bit thicker and got stuck it would spin in the chuck. You can alter it a bit but it wasnt enough to make a difference. I wrote to Foredom in the USA and they send me a handpiece with an openable chuck, like a drill chuck, which solved the problem, and they didnt charge me for it which was a bonus.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have a micro motor. I love it. As Dennis points out, there is a torque issue. But I don't have a problem getting a graver or file out where needed. It recently had a problem. The hand unit has it's own motor and this decided to do some silly things and behave oddly. Fortunately, Foredom have a robust 2year warranty against issues. mine was a few days inside of this and was replaced without any quibbles by the very nice and most excellent business that is run by the very lovely couple at http://www.woodworkscraftsupplies.co...x.php?cPath=94 (maybe a recently discussed online reseller could ask these wonderful people how great customer service should be done).

I jest not, my piece was replaced and I was back in the seat within 2 days.

I do have a foredom pendant drill, but it is a pain to use as it aggravates my long standing neck injury, oh and has some noise issues that scared the whiskers off the cat. The micro motor works silently and superbly. As I said, I love it.
    Last edited by Wallace; 15-07-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Woodworkscraftsupplies..yes, they are excellent at customer service.
    I've used a foredom micromotor for years, I just buy an extra handpiece now & again for spare.
    Try & avoid cheap Chinese stuff, they won't last..buy once but well.

Thanks for the advice guys. Can I just ask; what sort of pressure would you have to put on it before it became a problem?

Not much..It's not really a problem as such, you just get used to being less ham fisted.
    If your planning to do a lot of hard polishing,get a small polishing motor built for that job.

I am massively ham fisted so think I'm going to go for a Foredom rather than micrometer.

I currently have one of these: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...nit-prod20091/ as it was all I could afford when I started up, but having used my stone setting tutor's Foredom, I can now see just how very not straight mine spins things!

He he, glad i'm not the only one Lauren I have a huge old AC motor and a bench grinder which are great for the really heavy duty stuff, but I use my old dremel for everything else, especially detail polishing. I also use quite a few "non-standard" dremel bits, so think that maybe the Fordom is the way to go.
    Thanks again xxx

Gemsetter kris what would you say was the benefit of a micromotor over a fordom pendant drill for setting (drilling/machining)? I currently have the foredom SR series with quick change and am quite happy with it although it only takes the 2.35mm burs.

Not Kris, but I like the improved dexterity (no drag from the flex shaft) and the control - being able to dial in a max speed & have the unit consistently do that is very useful in burr control.

Like Peter said, plus the quietness.
    It's abit like comparing two cars, both get you there, but one is a nicer drive.
    Besides, I had a pendant motor drop down, just missing my head which put me off abit