Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customer service - how not to do it

Default Customer service - how not to do it

A certain vendor of jewellery tools (and not bullion) has recently sold me a piece of moderately expensive equipment. Upon trying to use this piece of equipment for the first time, it did not function so I contacted them about getting it replaced. Oh no, they say - you'll have to deal with the manufacturer under warranty. I don't think so, this isn't a warranty issue, this is a "the damn thing has never worked and I want it replaced" issue. Nope, has to be the manufacturer. OK, I'm rejecting the goods as not fit for purpose. Oh, you can't - it's a business-to-business transaction and the Sale of Goods Act doesn't apply...

Actually, the SoGA *does* apply, but there are parts that aren't applicable in this case. Distance Selling regs don't apply to business to business transactions either. Also, having paid by credit card means I can stop the payment quite happily.

In the meantime, I've spoken with the manufacturer - and the unit probably needs to be RTB'd for them to look at it; turnaround about a week.

I think this attitude problem has probably cost them a customer. To be honest, I have heard of them not being very good on customer service before - I had hoped it was the exception rather than the rule.

Peter, does the company start with a C ? It sounds very much like the response that I had when dealing with returns. Their customer service was dreadful. I wonder if they keep any customers !

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Sounds a tad mad and a shame really, I have not had any problems with them yet. They did send me something meant for someone else recently and I returned it, because they asked. I got no refund on my postage, but then they did give me my items for nothing - albeit a very small back order!
    Last edited by Wallace; 08-07-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Wales View Post
    Peter, does the company start with a C ?
    It does... I just feel like I'm slagging off a competitor to Cookson on here, which really isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    It does... I just feel like I'm slagging off a competitor to Cookson on here, which really isn't the case.
    Not at all. I think it's a warning to others on here to be VERY careful when ordering from this firm. If anything goes pear-shaped their telephone customer service is awful.

You have to congratulate them on apparently doing so well that they can happily shed customers without a backward glance at the bottom line.
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

I personally would have thought that if you had bought something from "C" then your contract is with them and not whoever made the item which is irrelevant? "C" has the contract with the manufacturer as they purchased from them....not you. This sounds to me like passing the buck I think. I worked in jewellery retail for many years in a previous life and if, say, a watch was returned to us as faulty, it was down to us to give the refund, and then claim a credit back from the company, not try to send the customer direct!!
    Not only shocking customer service but I'm not sure legal either?? The good old citizen's advice people will help you out with this I'm sure

That's what I've said to them, they won't have it. It's a business to business transaction so they maintain that exonerates them from, well, everything!

On the upside, Elma are being utterly fantastic on service - I've been sent the service manuals, assured that my working on the unit doesn't affect the guarantee and I've gone through the fault finding quite happily. According to the chart, it requires a new control PCB which is being shipped to me. If that doesn't work, then it'll have to go back to them - but I'm still far from satisfied with the disgusting service I've had from the people who sold it.

Is this a UK company? Anyway, definately the sellers problem..don't use them again.
    Product should be returnable & replaced or refunded if not functioning as you believe it should.
    What kind of business is this to run?! I'd like to know who so I can give them some grief.
    I also have a business lawyer on hand if needed
    Last edited by Gemsetterchris; 09-07-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Ach, I think most people know who I'm griping about - it's Cousins. I've spent rather a lot with them on equipment over the past few years; I'm thoroughly disgusted at the conduct and I'm not going to tolerate it.
    I have a lawyer on hand
    (It's not strictly her area, but she's very cooperative)